Skip navigation
finsprings3
Currently Being Moderated

Image edited in Photoshop doesn't show up properly in Lightroom

Dec 9, 2012 8:10 PM

I have my photos on a separate volume at

/Volume/Users/Lightroom Photos/…

Everything works fine except when I choose "Edit in Photoshop CS6", work on the image in Photoshop then save it. It gets saved back to the same folder as the original file, but when I tab back to Lightroom it just shows a square tile with a question mark instead of the new file. Tapping on the exclamation mark reveals that Lightroom thinks the new file is supposed to be in

/Users/Lightroom Photos/…

For example the dialog box might say:

“_DSC3047-Edit.tif” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

Previous location: /Users/Lightroom Photos/2012/2012-12-08/_DSC3047-Edit.tif

When in reality the original and the edit are both in /Volumes/Users/Lightroom Photos/2012/2012-12-08/ and there is not, and never was a /Users/Lightroom Photos/…

That is, something about saving back from Photoshop stripped off the "/Volumes/" from the beginning of the path. I can choose Locate and find it right where it should be and it will show up. Once it shows up the image tile shows the image but has an exclamation mark; tapping on that brings up a dialog box that says:

The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?

Doing this for every roundtrip is extremely tedious.

This is on a Mac and so /Users does exist but that maps to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users. I wonder if either LR or PS is confused by there being a /Users and a /Volumes/Users.

Editing in a Nik Plugin (e.g. Silver Efx) works properly, FWIW.

I am using LR4.2 and PS CS6 13.0.1 on OS X 10.8.2.

Replies
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 10, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to finsprings3

Can we see a screenshot of your Folders panel, so we can see the 2 different volumes showing please?  I think it's one that'll be fairly easily fixed, but it helps to see what we're dealing with.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 11, 2012 12:13 AM   in reply to finsprings3

Ok, great, before we do anything else, back up your catalog!

Let's start with the Volumes one.  Right-click on / folder and choose Hide Parent Folder.  Repeat for the Volumes folder, and probably the Users folder.  You'll probably need to do the same with the Users folder in the bottom one.  If everything disappears and the Folders panel goes blank at any stage, don't panic, just restart LR and they'll reappear.  That's the point you're aiming for, without removing a folder directly containing photos.  Then let's see an updated screenshot and we should be most of the way there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 12, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to finsprings3

Great, now go to the SSD drive there in the Folders panel and remove the Lightroom Photos 2 folder which is empty.  The SSD should disappear.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 12, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to finsprings3

Hang on, I've just spotted something.  The SSD in your screenshot is listed as 110gb, but the Users folder is listed as 931gb.  How is that?  Is there a symbolic link moving the Users folder, or something like that?  That would certainly explain your issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 12, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to finsprings3

Ok, can you try doing an edit in PS and check whether it still happens then please?  Now that we've removed the \Volumes\ I'd expect it to behave correctly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 13, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to finsprings3

You could well be right about /Users/  How about renaming it temporarily just to test that theory?  You can do that from the Get Info dialog in Finder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Dec 13, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to finsprings3

Ah, so your whole user account is relocated onto the other drive?  Wow, ok, I'm not quite sure where to go with this one then.

Yes, your test sounds pretty logical, so it's probably a good next port of call.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points