Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Moving a document view with the hand tool is locked at edge of window

Dec 9, 2012 8:22 PM

I know this must be simple but cannot figure it out!  

When I try and move a corner of my open document with the hand tool to the center of the document window in CS5  when zoomed out, it stops at the edges and will not move inward any further. It is sometimes more convenient to be able to work on a zoomed in corner of a document when it is centered in the document window. If I go to the rotate tool and set a slight angle, I can then move the document anywhere in the window at any magnification! Is there a setting that is locking the document at the edge of the screen when zoomed out?

Thanks, David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to David202

If the document fits in or is less than the entire window, then it can't be panned or scrolled. You will also notice no scroll bars. The image must be larger than the document window in order to be panned. Perhaps when you rotate the document,you place parts of it outside the window and then panning comes into place. Even if a tiny part of the image is outside the document window,then you can pan.

Let me suggest "marquee zoom" for zooming in on an item of interest.

In your zoomed out image, hold down the Ctrl key and your hand tool turns into the zoom tool. using the mouse or trackpackpad, move the zoom tool to the point of interest, then hold down the left mouse button, and drag out a marquee around the area, and release both the Ctrl and left mouse button and it will zoom that area into the screen.

Ctrl 0 (zero) to fit the image to screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 12:36 AM   in reply to David202

for cs6

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\60.0]

"ExtraOverscrolling"=dword:00000002

for cs5

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]

"ExtraOverscrolling"=dword:00000002

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to r-bin

Well indeed that does work. I don't know why it isn't documented. Nice catch rbin

So open Regedit, navigate to the CS6 directory [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\60.0] or the CS5 directory [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]

Then from Regedit's Edit menu, select New > DWORD (32 bit) Value.

Name  it and enter 2 as the Hex value. Open Photoshop and you have Overscrolling in both 32 and 64 bit versions. The key can always be deleted if you change your mind.

Overscrolling reg entry.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to David202

Ok, so as I understand it your home machine works fine,it is your work machine that has the problem.

I can suggest adding that registry key as per the instructions,but if it persists, it's some software or hardware conflict that I can't begin to guess.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points