Skip navigation
Suroiu Stefan
Currently Being Moderated

Jpg file with transparency

Dec 10, 2012 4:51 AM

Hi all,

I have a technical question without too much impact in my work, is just a curiosity question. I have some .jpg files received from a client, and when I put them in InDesign the objects from .jpg files have transparency (and that is very good), but how is possible a .jpg file to have transparency?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Suroiu Stefan

My guess would be there's a clipping path saved in the file. Jpeg 2000 supportes transparency, but as far as I know there is no import filter for the format in ID.

When you look in the pages panel do you see the transparency icon nect to the page? (make sure it's selected in the panel options).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I wouldn’t go by that icon if there’s anything else on the page. To be honest, I think in the year 2012 it’s pretty much outlived its usefulness to me.

Even if it’s there it could be due to a drop shadow.

I’d put my money on the clipping path.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

.. I’d put my money on the clipping path.

If you rename a PNG file (with transparency) and change the extension to JPG, Indesign still imports it correctly! The only give-away is that in the Info panel you will see "Type: PNG".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

I wouldn’t go by that icon if there’s anything else on the page. To be honest, I think in the year 2012 it’s pretty much outlived its usefulness to me.

Quite true, but the ABSENCE of the icon would be telling, and if there is an icon we can look for other possible sources of transparency that are triggering it by removing the image temporarily. Just a diagnostic question.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Suroiu Stefan

ID should apply a clipping path automatically, if you haven't changed the default import option (show the import options when palcing the jpeg and look for the clipping path check box). If it isn't happening automatically, ID can create a clipping path from any path stored inthe file by going to Object > Clipping Path > Options... and choosing Photoshop Path from the Type dropdown.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points