Skip navigation
gerryrobinson9
Currently Being Moderated

Transferring layer from photo bin to another photo.

Dec 10, 2012 4:59 AM

I have PSE 11 and I am creating a Christmas theme with various pictures. I have my main photo with 6 layers including a tree and figures which I can move independantly and the background is the checkerboard as the main layers are turned off with only my selections showing. I also have another photo where I have selected part of it and also turned off the main layers leaving a small part with checkered background. When  I have the main photo loaded and drag the other one from the photo bin with the move tool, nothing appears on the main picture.  Any ideas please? I have already dragged the Christmas tree in the same way and that worked. By the way, all the files are .PSD.

Thanks

Gerry

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to gerryrobinson9

Hi Gerry

On your second photo select the transparent layer with your object - so that the layer thumbnail is highlighted. Then press Ctrl+A to select all followed by Ctrl+ C to copy the contents.

Then go back to the window or tab with your composite image and press Crl+V to paste.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to gerryrobinson9

I don't believe I got the nature of your problem, but if all you want is to transfer layers from one photo to another, here is what you should do:

1. Open both images A and B. lets say you have to transfer certain layers from image A to image B
    2. Select image A and select the layers you want to copy
    3. right click the selected layers and choose duplicate layers.
    4. in the duplicate layer dialog, in the destination field, choose document B as destination (see attachment)

dup.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to domnic.rj23

Hi Jon & Dominic,

Thanks for your prompt replies and excellent suggestions.  I have just realised what the problem is.  The photo I was trying to copy in was actually quite huge and therefore didn't work! I resized it and now all is well!

Thanks again both of you

Kind regards

Gerry

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to gerryrobinson9

Hi,

You said "on dragging the image from Photo-bin it does not appear on the main image".

The reason behind this your newly created layer (which appear after dragging) goes downward in the layers panel depending on your previous active layer.

Go to Layers panel and drag the newly created layer to upward for appearing in the image.

Untitled.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to gerryrob9

gerryrob9 wrote:

I have just realised what the problem is.  The photo I was trying to copy in was actually quite huge and therefore didn't work! I resized it and now all is well!

Suppose you want to drag a photo from the photo bin to the main workspace.
    In older versions like PSE6, the moved image was transferred as a smart layer, and it was easy to move and resize it without any quality loss.

That has been removed from recent versions (too smart ? )

Now, you often are in the following situation : a page background with the correct resolution for a print size. You want to drag and drop from the dustbin a bigger file at full resolution; the dragged image hides everything and only a part is shown. Either you have to resize beforehand as you suggested, or...

In PSE11 I have chosen the preference to resize with the scroll wheel.

So,

- I drag the image

- I use the shortcut Ctrl T for the menu Image/free transform

- with the scroll wheel I rapidly squeeze the image size in the workspace to a much smaller size, so that I can see the whole rectangle showing the real dimensions of the imported layer

- I click on the bottom right corner until I can move it towards the center, reducing the layer size to approximatively the right dimension and location.

- When validated, I scroll to make the whole image to the right dimension for finer placement and sizing.

That needs some getting used to, but much quicker than having to resize beforehand many images for a composite page.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Hi Bridge?,

Now I see it, simple when you know how, isn't it? Thanks for that, I should have seen it.

Michael, thanks for the shortcut and speedy method for resizing.  Will note that down and give it a try later.

Thanks again to you both for your help

Kind regards

Gerry

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points