Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing keywords and files

Dec 10, 2012 4:54 PM

I have tried the Lightroom 4 trial version and it emptied my keywords. Many of the thumbnails in the folders are showing that question mark and they seem to have vanished from the hard drive. All this with just two days left on my trial version and my clients are not happy. I have had a lot of problems with lightroom am

nd before I did the download I contacted the support people and they assured me Lightroom 4 would work flawlessly. It didn't. How do I uninstall the Lightroom 4 trial vaersion. Lightroom support people will not help me unless I purchase Lightrrom 4.....catch 22.

Almar

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Almar Smiley

Purchasing LR gets you a serial number, and this will be enough to allow Adobe Support to help you. You can enter the serial number into your trial version and that will immediately become an official version that you can continue using - there is no difference in the software.

I don't know what you meant by "emptied" your keywords, and whether these were keywords you had added in Lightroom, or previously in some other program. From your mention of question marks and files missing from disk, it sounds as if you have been moving or deleting images or image folders somehow. Lightroom does not do this without being told to. If a folder or file is changed outside LR then LR will be affected.

If you can give some more details about what situation you are in now, perhaps people here will try to help - remembering, this is mainly other Adobe users here, not Adobe staff.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Almar Smiley

Hi Almar, if you'd like some help to uninstall, we'll need know which operating system you're on.  If you're on a Mac, it's just drag and drop to the trash, like any other program.

From everything you've said, I'm sorry to say it sounds like Lightroom was working correctly, but you didn't know how to use it.  If you'd like some help to learn, we'll be pleased to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Almar Smiley

I had assumed from your previous post that you were intending to buy LR4, since you were doing client work on it. Sorry if I misunderstood. Installing LR4 trial should not have prevented LR3 from still working, at least that was my experience. Also when you upgraded your LR3 Catalog to LR4, this conversion was done to a copy, not to the original.

So both your previous LR3 software and its related Catalog may still be in place and just as usable as before, with the images that pre-date your use of the LR4 trial.

If you have imported images into the LR4 trial, they will have by default used the new 2012 process version. Even if your edits under this PV were written to the files as metadata, importing these into LR3 will leave you some corrective work to allow for the only semi-compatible develop settings. However keywords etc should be fine, if (as I say) these were written-out. as well as stored in the Catalog.

Many people have found the transition process from LR3 to LR4 smooth in practical terms, with the new process version adjustments as the only awkward part. I can't explain how LR4 could have behaved any differently in terms of keywords, import process, image locations and paths etc since these things have not especially changed from LR3. The only non-obvious aspect here is that unless you separate them deliberately, the two Catalogs - LR3 and LR4 - are SHARING the same physical files on disk. So deleting or moving image files in one software version, will have an impact on the other sotware version's library.

LR3 and LR4 are independent installations - although some locations are held in common for presets, lens profiles etc..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:04 AM   in reply to Almar Smiley

Normally the catalog conversion process retains the folder display, collections, history, virtual copies, keywords, everything, 100%. This will not be the case if you make a new catalog for the new version and import your images afresh into that - LR is in that case starting again rather than maintaining continuity.

IMO Lightroom is all about the safe and smooth continuity of your images and their edits. Its default behaviour is always to preserve (reversibly) rather than to change.

On your query about child folders: when you have a "loose" top-level folder displayed in the Folders list, this is often simply that LR is not yet displaying enough of the folder structure in order to show the various images in their correct folder relation.

By right-clicking on such a folder and selecting "show parent", the next level up in the file system will be added to the Folders panel and this folder will show nested inside that (and so will any others which share that parent) - the listing will automatically move around to reflect this slightly more complete display of the overall file system.

You can show as much or as little of the drive volume as you want; what counts for image organisation is the useful relative relationships between relevant folders. It is not necessary to see the entire path; just the internal structure of the part within each drive volume where your LR-related image files are stored.

regards, RP

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points