Skip navigation
Andrew C Kent
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade Premiere Pro CS5.5 on PC to CS6 on MAC? Use both at same time?

Dec 10, 2012 7:13 AM

Can I upgrade from my Premiere Pro CS5.5 on my PC Laptop to CS6 on my new MAC machine?  If so, will I still be able to use my CS5.5 on my PC at the same time as using CS6 on my MAC?

I'd be grateful for your advice and, if this is possible, how to proceed.

Many thanks,

Andrew Kent

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Andrew C Kent

yes on question #1 - you can upgrade from 5.5 and do it cross-platform from Win to Mac.

no on question #2 - unfortuantely Adobe requires a separate 2 separate licenses if you want to run on both platforms even if you are one user and running one license at a time. I collaborate with folks who are on both platforms and just had to buy a whole second license to be able to work on either platform. Adobe is the only software I have that forces you to buy 2 separate licenses.

And when you upgrade from 5.5 to 6 your 5.5 license is surrendered. The only legal way you can do what you want to do is to buy a completely new license - not an upgrade.

But CS6 is a very, very good upgrade in my opinion.

Be advised that there are some serious differences between CS6 on the PC vs Mac. One major one is that the powerful Speedgrade program cannot be used for serious grading on the Mac because there has been no ability to output to a calibrated monitor - but on the Windows side there is support for output to a calibrated monitor for proper grading.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Andrew C Kent

I don't believe lightprism's information is correct.  Buying an upgrade does not invalidate the license from the earlier version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Andrew C Kent

Creative Cloud gives you a cross-platform license.

Also, Jim is correct in saying that you can still run your older version. I have 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 all installed at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Andrew C Kent

There is no official enquiry email, just the phone nymber.  However, I can tell you that upgrading does not invalidate your license, you can use both CS5.5 and CS6 can be installed at the same time, and the Creative Cloud membership is cross-platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

The surrender of CS5.5 license comes up when the original poster wants to 'crossgrade" from Windows to Mac CS6.

We went from CS2 Windows to CS5.5 Mac and could not keep the Windows CS2 license.

The "Cloud" type subscriptions I know nothing about.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to lightprism

could not keep the Windows CS2 license.

Who told you that?  As far as I know, purchased software is a perpetual license.  There's no way for Adobe to monitor and remove it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I double checked with some Customer Service gurus - you are fine.  Currently, having any of the versions that qualify, on any platform, will qualify you for the upgrade.  In other words, when you upgrade, buy the upgrade for Mac, and when it asks to check if you have the previous qualifying version, use the serial from the PC Version of CS5.5 and it will accept it.

The previous version is still perfectly valid for the PC.

This is a change from previous versions to make it easier to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Greg Baber

Please let us know if Baber's method works when you order.

Paying only an upgrade price of a single platform license never  allowed you to obtain both a Windows and Mac usable license in the past. In the past, when you had only a single license, you could change Windows < > Mac, but you could not keep the platform you changed from. A single license was good only for either Windows or Mac. (not talking a Cloud subscription here.)

Just 2 weeks ago I called Adobe myself and told them the need to work with clients on both Windows in addition to our existing Mac CS6. I was told I would have to buy a second CS6 license to gain Windows and keep Mac, even if I only used one at a time.

But a simple attempt to enter an order as the original poster will tell us what happens. Hope Baber is right, that Adobe has changed it's policy. Too late for me, but great for others.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to lightprism

It's specifically an upgrade situation.  CS6 in point product form is available for Mac or Windows, and you can't install a copy of both on a single license.  In this situation, they have a license for CS5.5 and are getting another license for CS6 - that can be cross-platform. 

If you need to use both Mac and Windows then your best option is the Creative Cloud - that allows for cross platform use on one license.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to lightprism

Greg Baber:

Thinking about your answer a little more, why was I told I had to buy a full second CS6 license to be able to run CS6 on Windows as well as the Mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to lightprism

Because you need a separate license if you are not on the Creative Cloud subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Jon Chappell

The original poster was not on the Creative Cloud subscription.

What a mess.

I think what Baber is saying is Adobe considers an "Upgrade" purchase from a prior license as an entirely new separate license. That allows you to run the old version license on a different platform from the new "Upgrade" license.

So if you need to run both platforms (Windows and Mac) your options are:

1. Cloud subscription
    2. Purchase a whole new second license to be able to run the current version on both platforms (what we did)
    3. Wait for an point version update and upgrade going to the other platform. That allows you to run on both Windows and Mac, but one version back on one of the platforms but at a greatly reduced price until the next point upgrade.

Seems pretty convoluted and obtuse. But ..."It is what it is."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to lightprism

I'd love it if dongles were available for licensing. It's very useful with Avid but I suspect there's not much demand for this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points