Skip navigation
Nikon D90 Gent II
Currently Being Moderated

Warp Stabilizer has no effect! Mystery........

Dec 10, 2012 8:45 AM

Warp Stabilizer: Please: What's happening here? Not working................

Upgraded to Premiere Pro CS 6 (as I don't have After Effects) specifically in order to stabilize video. Thus far, from my experience, it produces a clip which is much worse than the original after being subject to the analyzing/stabilizing processes!

How is that possible? It baffles me! Go figure. Hence this post.

Camcorder is Canon A1s or A1. Format is  HDV/.m2t. Rolling shutter issue?

The preliminary analyzing process is equal to or even slower than rendering. A 5.5 minute clip takes hours! CS 6 is slow compared to CS 5.5 to begin with.

I record services in a house of worship. The clip I'll use as an example is one I shot recently of a lady kneeling down and praying. I tried every improved setting that I could think of such as no motion, advanced detailed analysis and the like in addition to the default settings.

Shot composition: Subject zoomed in on fairly tight with part of a grand piano in the background.

Since I tend to be a bit of a  perfectionist & my tripod shot somehow moved a slight bit up and down while shooting which created this issue, I wanted to make the movement so it was not so noticeable. It wasn't extreme, just obvious to my trained eye.

After things were "stabilized/corrected, here was the result:

The foreground/main object is ok, however anything around or behind that looks like it's footage shot handheld from a rolling deck, on very tumultuous ocean which defeats the purpose. I thought subspace warp was 3d?

Any suggestions? Is Warp not up to this basic and simple task? Workable alternatives?

I wish I could upload the clip so everyone could see the before and after.

Upload size would be considerable. 

Anyone willing to help me make this work? Actually stabilize it  and then be willing to explain the setings or procedure?

Image stabilization/correction is a key skill I need going forward. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

A1 does not have rolling shutter issue. That is only for camera's with CMOS and not CCD.

Start with the default setting.

Not all clips are suitable for stabilisation.

A few seconds of the clip we be nice.

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

Can you send a clip?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

See if this Chris Meyer tutorial on how Warp Stabilizer can easily get crazy (and how to fix that) is similar to your ongoing issue.

And yes, uploading footage would be nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

I used Mercalli before and since CS6 I work with the Warp Stabilizer with better results at least in my case (Sony AVCHD Cam CX 700). My "Warp rules" are simple (using mainly standard settings):

* If you are  Zooming and panning only Smooth Stabilization works without too much tweaking

* Seperate szenes in small pieces if you have a mixture of stable/zooming/panning parts

* Start only (short) 6-8 Warp Stabilizers in parallel as they use a lot of memory (my PC has 24 GB main storage); on top a fast GPU is your friend  

* Big differences between foreground (e.g. flowers moved by a heavy wind) and background (e.g. steady nonmoving structures like mountains) are hard to stabilize (similar to your results) and I take the shots as they are (or redo it)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

You have to post the download link so folks can get there.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to Nikon D90 Gent II

Although it's easier (more convenient) to accomplish the mission in After Effects, you can do it in PrPro as well:

1. Nest your shaky footage.

2. Within the newly  created nested sequence apply Garbage Matte onto the footage to separate the woman on the foreground. E.g. draw Eight-Point Garbage Matte around the woman.

3. Create a Color Matte, pick e.g. R:7 G:7 B:9 to more or less match its colour to your footage background and drop this Color Matte above your footage with Garbage Matte.

4. Copy Garbage Matte from the footage and paste onto the Color Matte, delete or disable Garbage Matte on the footage. Optionally apply Fast Blur effect onto the Color Matte and dabble with Blurriness value so as to soften (feather) Matte's edges, adjusting Garbage Matte points if necessary.

5. Jump back to your master sequence and apply Warp Stabilizer onto the nested sequence, formerly your shaky footage. Set Stabilization to No Motion.

6. When done, switch to your nested sequence, disable the Color Matte eyeball, switch back to the master sequence, enjoy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points