Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When I export a PDF (PDF1A) from Indesign CS6, the first page of the document is blank.  Why?

Dec 10, 2012 12:04 PM

Tags: #pdf #export #indesign #blank

When I export a PDF (PDF1A) from Indesign CS6, the first page of the document is blank.  Why?

Doesnt the PDF 1A fixup errors?

Below is my screen shot of indesign and acrobat.  The first page is blank, the second page is not.  Why only the first page?

Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks in advanced!

Screen shot 2012-12-10 at 11.42.29 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to NightRed_

Saw this happen about a week ago in another post here. It turned out to be caused by a inner glow applied to the background image.

PDF/X-1a converst all colors to CMYK and flattens transparency, but it doesn't "fix" errors. To track downthe problem the easiest thing is to turn off objects in the layers panel and export until you locate the offender, then look at that object closely and see what there is about it that could be a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to NightRed_

As I said, you need to isolate the problem by turning off things in the Layers panel. It will be faster if you do it by hiding half of the objects at a time. If the export fails, hide half or what's left. If it succeeds, put back half or what you hid. It will take only a few minutes this way.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to NightRed_

PDF X/1-a is an archaic "standard." Why are you using it?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to NightRed_

NightRed_ wrote:

Adobe why did the PDF 1A not work, and the PRESS READY PDF option did work?

One possibility is the differnce in treatment of transparency. PDF/X-1a flattens transparency. The press quality preset leaves it live to be flattened by the printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to NightRed_

Adobe most strongly recommends use of PDF/X-4 which preserves live transparency and color managment all the way to the RIP.

PDF/X-1a is indeed archaic for any content that uses anything other than CMYK+spot color and/or transparency.

All modern day PDF workflow software supports PDF/X-4. If you still are printing to a PostScript RIP, Acrobat Pro (versions X and XI) can print PDF/X-4 to such RIPs (or printers) quite well.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points