Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rectangle & Ellipse Tool Troubles CS6

Dec 10, 2012 2:34 PM

I just discovered that the following (taken from the CS6 help file) no longer seems to work. A 85 minute call to Adobe left me no further ahead. It's the entering a width value and then clicking on "height" to copy the width value into the height field. Same behaviour for the rectangle tool.

Do one of the following:

• Drag diagonally until the ellipse is the desired size.
  • Click where you want the top-left corner of the ellipse’s bounding box to be. Specify a width and height for the ellipse, and click OK.
  • Note: To create a circle, hold down the Shift key while dragging, or if you are specifying dimensions, once you’ve entered a Width value you can click on the word Height to copy that value into the Height box.

Is it just me?

Yours

Vern

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Vernox

Hi Vern,

Just to be clear, are you having trouble when you try to click once using the Rectangle or Ellipse tool and enter in the values?

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 4.36.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-12-10 at 4.38.40 PM.png

Just to the right of the width and height fields there is a small icon of a chain-link. Does it appear broken (left image) or connected (right image)?

Also, it would be helpful to know if you are attempting to create a perfect circle/square or if you trying to create a shape with different width and height values?

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Vernox

In my experience using the dialog box above, I would input my first value (width) and then copy it and paste it in the height field. There's not a one-click solution for that.

Alternatively, I sometimes just drag out an ellipse while holding shift down to give me a perfect circle but I don't worry about the size. When I create the circle, I just find my way to the transform options in the top menu – make sure to enable constrain proportions – and then type in my width value. It will automatically change the height value to the same number when you click enter.

(entering in the first value)

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 4.51.28 PM.png

(then I hit enter, and the Height changes accordingly)

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 4.51.37 PM.png

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Vernox

Vern,

My apologies, you are right about the functionality being absent from Illustrator CS6. I've sent out an email to begin steps towards revising this document to reflect fully the latest version of Illustrator.

It seems this was a really useful piece of your workflow and I would suggest starting an Idea thread for it. Scroll towards the top of this forum post and find the link for Browse and find the link to Ideas. From there you can start a new idea explaining how you'd like to see this feature back in CS6!

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 5.12.02 PM.png

I really appreciate you finding this discontinuity in the help document!

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Vernox

I'm in contact with someone who can help us address this issue. Your patience is appreciated!

The primary goal will be to update the Help document!

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to Vernox

Vern,

Please follow this link to the Illustrator Feature Request Forum and post your thoughts! This is the right avenue for you to make your request known.

Cheers,

Michael

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points