Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Smooth End Crawl Motion in 23.98 Encore Project?

Dec 10, 2012 10:40 PM

I have a PNG file that is the end credits for a crawl.  Looks awesome at 60 fps, but at 23.98 it's awful- lot of stutter. 

I need to author a Blu-ray disc where the movie content is 23.98.... Any thoughts on how I can keep the end crawl at 60 fps, while authoring a Blu-ray disc at 23.98?

Anyone with experience fighting this issue, would sure appreciate your feedback.  FYI, the end crawl was created in After Effects.

Thanks,

Mtbakerstu

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

You can't.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

Slow them down maybe?  I do all mine at 24, just like the footage, and they look fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

I create the title in Photoshop, then just bring it into PP and apply some Motion keyframes to simulate the crawl.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

A few things:

1. If you're making scrolling end credits at different frame rates, you should make separate outputs for each frame rate. (The only exception might be going from 23.98 to 29.97 via pulldown, which is usually fine.)

2. Don't use keyframes to scroll. Use expressions and move in whole pixels (e.g. 3px per frame, not 3.198 px per frame).

3. Bolder fonts scroll nicer. Fonts that don't have thin horizontal strokes scroll nicer. Slower is smoother.

4. If your end credits are sucking too much time out of your life, give this a whirl: http://endcrawl.com

Full disclosure - that's my company.

Cheers,

Pliny

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to I am Pliny
    2. Don't use keyframes to scroll. Use expressions and move in whole pixels (e.g. 3px per frame, not 3.198 px per frame).

Not possible in PP.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to mtbakerstu11

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers