Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

lossless codec not so lossless???

Dec 10, 2012 7:13 PM

so i know one of the major boo-boos of video editing, edit from editing source footage, not delivery source footage... but this one i could not resist. this is mainly an archival project for myself, so its just something i'm doing for me. there was some guy who posted HOURS and years of footage of bands i loved in the early to mid 90s performing, on youtube, and i was like "i have got to snag this crap" so i downloaded all of teh FLVs from his channel, and so i have about 10 years worth of all the bands i wish i had recorded but never had a camcorder when i saw them.

so now to put them to dvd... the source footage is FLV at about 1mbps. premiere won't even touch FLV so i have to convert them to AVI. the converter i had, i did not like how it was converting to DV-avi (they are 640x480, and it was stretching), so i decided to convert to lossless avi, and then convert to DV-avi in AME to save space. her is a side by side of source and the lossless.... (the codec is BGR555) what is the deal? notice the shadows? the darkers? how is that lossless? is there a better codec i should be going to? the converter had 4 uncompressed avis, i tried all 4 and they all looed the same.... anyone have any better solutions to convert flv to avi without the watery look?

compare.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to Keith_Clark

<sigh>

You CANNOT use software players or computer monitors to judge the quality of your video, including Premiere Pro's built-in monitors.  None of these are designed for accurate display of the video signal.  You MUST watch the image on a properly calibrated TV for quality control.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points