Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Dec 10, 2012 7:53 PM

Using the 64-bit extended CS6 version under Win 8/64.  Am I not using the filter correctly, or is this a limitation regarding its use?

I duplicate a layer and apply the filter.  I then add a white mask and invert it to get black.  I change the layer blending mode to either darken or lighten, depending on the requirements at hand.  I use the paint brush to remove the spotting and it works.  However, if I add a new layer and then go back to the Dust and Scratches layer, the paint brush further modify the layer.  I need to create a new layer and start all over again.

I am finding that if I convert the layer for smart filter use, I cannot use the paint brush.  The layer needs to be rasterized, again.

Thanks,

Steve

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Steve C2

Are you targeting the mask (by clicking on its icon) to inform Photoshop that you'd like to manipulate the mask?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 10, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to Steve C2

Yes.  Are you painting white on it?  Is the Brush Tool set to normal mode?

It would be helpful if you'd describe exactly what doesn't work.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 11, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Steve C2

I haven't seen this problem nor heard of it reported here before.  Of course, that doesn't mean I don't believe you.

Photoshop is so modal that I can't help but think you have inadvertently set something that's causing you either not to paint the white that you think you are, or not see the results.

Could you please take a screenshot or two showing your entire Photoshop environment at the moment you're experiencing the problem?

Other options that come to mind are resetting the Brush Tool and/or possibly returning the entire Photoshop preferences set to defaults.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 12, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Steve C2

Ah, it was something simple.

Control-Shift-Alt-E causes a new layer to be created by merging the pixels from all layers below into a new 100% opaque layer of pixels.  Thus any changes you make on layers below will be eclipsed by the new layer.

If you want to make changes yet keep the same document structure, generally speaking you have to delete the previously merged layer, make your layer changes (which you would now be able to see) and do the Control-Shift-Alt-E merge again.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points