Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Recommended DB levels for audio when mixing in PPCS6

Dec 10, 2012 7:08 PM

What are the recommended audio levels for dialogue and for background music and sound effects in Premere Pro CS6.  I'm having a bit of a problem when I'm building up my sound (adding more sound effects) to build some dramatic elements and I end up having inaudible dialogue with the music level in the background.  Any audio level advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 11:32 PM   in reply to RobertHorn2012

i am not at all sure that there is an answer to that question. It depends on your personaly tastes. I am a bit hard of hearing, so I prefer the music down pretty low when there is dialog. Only you, or your client, can really determine if the music is too loud or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

You could try using the dynamics filter on the dialogue clips to compress the audio level along with a suitable level of gain. That will have the effect of increasing the apparent "loudness" of the dialogue but without it hitting the clip level. Its then a case of balancing the others sounds to not mask the dialogue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to RobertHorn2012

RobertHorn2012 wrote:

What are the recommended audio levels for dialogue and for background music and sound effects in Premere Pro CS6?

Beyond the normal "don't clip it" on the loud end, and "don't loose it in the noise" on the soft end, there aren't any "recommended audio levels" for anything. It's too context dependent. A whisper should not be as loud as a shout; background music in an elevator should not be as loud as the music in a music video.

So how do you make decisions on loudness? People write books on that process. Jay Rose has a good one on post prodution sound, for example. There are of course lots of others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points