Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Starting and Stopping a Motion Effect (Pre11)

Dec 10, 2012 9:28 PM

Tags: #effects #11 #applied

I'm trying to add a motion effect to a title slide. (The title slide is a Photoshop document.)

I've figured out how to zoom and reposition the slide/graphic. But, no matter what I do, the start and end of the display of the graphic is always the same. I can't figure out how to change the start or end position/scale independently from the other.

I've added keyframes but can't figure out how to tie a specific position/scale to one and a different position/scale to another.

Thanks,

Drew

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to DrewF

There are several ways to create a pan & zoom in version 11. Which are you using?

Are you keyframing Motion manually or are you using the Pan & Zoom tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to DrewF

Take a look at the tutoral on the lower left side of this page. It shows you how to use this tool.

http://muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to DrewF

There are no Presets for that (the Pan & Zoom Tools are rather limited, and linear, accounting for general user needs), but you can manually adjust the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan), and Motion>Scale (Zoom), over time w/ Keyframes.

I often do what you wish to accomplish - start tiny (usually so tiny, that the Title cannot be seen), and then Scale (Zoom) into the full size, or even a little bit larger.

Let's start at the beginning. Each Clip dragged to the Timeline (Expert Mode in PrE 11), will have several Fixed Effects automatically added to it, such as Motion w/ Scale, Position, Rotation, and Opacity (can be useful for doing similar to what you want, but with the Title starting out Transparent, and then materializing into a sharp Title w/ full Opacity (the opposite of Transparency), and finally, Volume, if the Clip has Audio. Those Effects are there, automatically, and are set to their full, or neutral value. By adding a Keyframe for all that you wish to come into play, then making the adjustment, such as 0 for Scale, then at the desired point, adding another Keyframe, at say 100 for Scale, the Title will grow from 0 to 100% over the time dictated by the two Keyframes.

At first, Keyframing an Effect over time, can be a bit abstract in concept, BUT every moment spent learning Keyframing of Effects will pay dividends, as most Effects, both Fixed and added, can be Keyframed. Steve Grisetti has a wonderful Learning Series on Basic Keyframing, and I highly recommend that as the ultimate starting point: http://www.muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=Keyframing&btn.x=0&bt n.y=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to DrewF

The number of Keyframes needed, will depend on what you want to do.

Let's say that you want a Clip, Still Image or Title, to start out Scaled to 0%, so that it is invisible initially, then you want it to grow to 100%, then disappear by shrinking to 0% again. You would place a Keyframe for Motion>Scale at the beginning of the Clip/Still/Title (the first Frame), then another, where you wish the Clip/Still/Title to be 100%. Place another on the Frame, where you want to start Scaling back to 0%, and a final Keyframe on the last Frame of the Clip/Still/Title. Go back to that first Frame's Keyframe, and adjust the Scale parameter to 0%. Leave the two in the middle at 100% (the default), then go to that last Keyframe (on the last Frame of the Clip/Still/Title), and adjust that Scale parameter to 0%. That is a total of four Motion>Scale Keyframes, to accomplish the animation.

Remember that each Effect (Fixed, or added), can be Keyframed, so make sure that for the above, you are working in the Motion>Scale line. I find that Keyframing is much more easily accomplished with the Effect Control Panel (accessed by clicking on Edit Effects), rather than with the "rubberbands" on the Clip, but that is just me.

For the smoothest playback of a Keyframed Clip/Still/Title, you will probably want to Render that part of the Timeline, by hitting Enter/Return. You can also constrain the Rendering to just where you wish to do it, with the WAB (Work Area Bar).

Also, and as Steve explains in his Basic Keyframing, one can adjust the Interpolation of the Keyframes, to say Bezier, to "smooth" out the Keyframed Effect. By default, when a Keyframe is added, it is a Linear Keyframe, so the Velocity is constant. That can be a bit jarring, and by Rt-clicking on the Keyframe, one can alter its Interpolation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is a look at the Effects Control Panel (from PrE 4.0, so your exact look might vary by version), and the Keyframing "Stopwatch."

Keyframes_PE.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to DrewF

When you click on a particular Keyframe, the CTI in the mini-Timeline should move to it. There, you will see the parameters for that particular Effect. For Motion>Scale, you will see a percentage of Scale. By default, that will be set to 100%. You can click+scrub in that percentage window, or you can click in it (the listed percentage will highlight), and then just type in your value. One can also use the Scale Slider, to adjust the parameter.

For other Effects, there will be different parameters, like the X & Y coordinates for Motion>Position. They function the same way, with either a click+scrub, or a click, then typing in the necessary valuse.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to DrewF

Instead of using the "rubberbands" and Keyframes in the Timeline, I use the Effects Control Panel, for more accuracy and power. This image shows the Effects Control Panel in use:

Keyframe_PE_Motion_Scale.png

Select your Title with the Cursor, and then go to the Effects Tab, and then Edit Effects, to get to the Effects Control Panel.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to DrewF

OK, in the Effects Control Panel, look opposite the Motion line (twirl it open, to reveal Scale, Position & Rotation), the click on the "Stopwatch," with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) set to the first Frame of that Title. That turns ON Keyframe animation, and places a Keyframe at that location. For what you described, only concentrate on the Scale line, under Motion. Move the CTI to where you want the the 100% Keyframe to be, and click on the Add Keyframe button. A new Keyframe will be added at that location, in the Scale line. By default, it will have a Scale parameter of 100%, which is what you want. Now, go back to that first Frame Keyframe (the Back to Previous Keyframe button is handy here), and when the CTI moves to that Keyframe, look at the Scale parameter (should still be set to 100% also), and click on that "100," and change it to "0." At that point, I would test by playing back the Timeline from that first Frame, to get an idea of how the Title "grows" from 0 to 100%. Right now, do not worry if the animation is a little rough, as when you have all necessary Keyframes in place, and their parameters adjusted, you can hit Enter/Return to Render the Title, with the animation Keyframes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to DrewF

Glad that things are working well for you now.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points