Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New background image for menu

Dec 11, 2012 3:52 AM

Tags: #11 #premiere_elements #menu_background

I'm a newcomer to Premiere Elements 11 - on a new mac - and I've just finished my first edit. This is a PAL HDV project - and my goal is to burn a Bluray disc using an external BD burner.

I have created a menu using the most basic HD template provided, and I am trying to replace the default background image with a still image from my movie.

I have "shared" my movie frame - and successfully captured a .jpg file for my new background image. However, when I add this to the menu template, it distorts the image to a 4:3 aspect ratio - with black bars to left and right.

How can I get my background image to fill the 16:9 menu background?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

You can change the proportions of your background image by selecting it on the Disc Layout screen and resizing it by dragging on one of the side handles rather than corner handles. You can make it as skinny or as narrow as you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Premiere Elements has a limited workspace for creating DVD and BluRay disc menus.

That's why many of us supplement Premiere Elements' excellent video editing ability with a dedicated DVD authoring program. My personal favorite is DVD Architect Studio, a mere $39 download.

It's amazing what it can do! You can see demos of it on this page.

http://Muvipix.com/dvdas5.php

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Even with PrE 11, the authoring capabilities are somewhat limited, and rather linear, but it does a good job for 95% of the users, who want the authoring to be simple, and also linear.

A full-featured authoring app. can be a bit daunting, for the uninitiated (you are not one of those, however), but with the learning curve comes great power.

I only use Adobe Encore (only available bundled with PrPro now), but if I did not have that program, would go to DVD Architect, because I use that power, and control. The only times that I use the authoring functions in PrE is to do tests for people on this forum. For general authoring, it is easy, and semi-automatic, which, again, works for the vast majority of users.

For the Mac, I am not sure which programs are ported for that platform (does Sony offer a Mac version of DVD Architect?), but beyond programs, like Encore and DVD Architect, the price goes up, and quickly, with Sonic Scenarist, which with all modules, runs about US $ 50,000, and for full BD (Blu-ray Disc) authoring with full BD support, soars in price, even more, plus one must pay a certification price for each BD Project - only suitable for major production studios.

Good luck, and please update this thread with any programs that you find for the Mac.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Creating your own template is possible -- but it's a lot of work. (I've got instructions for it in my Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements combined book.)

Though if all you want to do is replace the background or drop a new image into a Drop Zone, it's probably not necessary.

Is your reason for wanting to enlarge the background image beyond the size of the video frame so that only a portion of it will show as you menu background? If so, why not just create a cropped version of the photo that only shows the area you want and use it for your background?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Have you tried a photo that's been cropped to 1920x1080 pixels?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Nope. It's exactly what I would suggest.

Just make sure (per my book) you don't change any layer set names or locations and, if you're saving the file as a separate template, that you save it in its own directory folder and that you have both an SM and MM file in the folder or it won't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

Cool! Thanks, John!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to TravelJunkie

As far as I can see, the templates are stored in MAC HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/11.0/CONTENT/ONLINE/DVD TEMPLATES/ALL_LANG/.

However, until you actually download and install the templates, the folders include only the thumbnail files.

Is that not what you're seeing, John?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points