Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Eyedropper issue / misbehaving since update 16.2.0

Dec 11, 2012 4:59 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #mac #bug #fill #tool #cs6 #eyedropper #appearance

Applying other object's fill color with eyedropper while holding shift does not work anymore. Actually, the color comes up as fill color in the tool box, but not in the appearance panel and it does not apply to the object. Weird: when I swap fill and stroke it works (first it applies the correct color to the stroke, then after second swap to the fill).

Checked eyedropper settings, should be fine, didn't change anything. Deleting preferences didn't help, too.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to konradm84

I haven't herad anything about 16.2.0. Must be beta software. No wonder you're having problems.

16.0.3 is the latest released version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Was DYP

16.2.0 is the cloud version of 16.0.2. Evidentially there is a new update but not everyone is successful in using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to konradm84

YES! This is totally an issue. I just updated to 16.2.0 today (it was released today) have been noticing that holding Shift to select a color using the Eyedropper does not work. It's a new bug with the new update. I use this feature so often! Wish i could go back to the previous version. Time to report this bug to Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to callmevlad2

there is a thread just below this one a little where a staff member acknowledges and thanks the poster for bringing this issue to their attention.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to konradm84

I also updated on the 12/12/12 and can't use the eydropper to sample colour while holding the shift key.

The colour appears as a swatch but isn't applied to the selected object.
    I've just wasted an hour trying to figure this out. Relieved to hear that I'm not going mad and have forgotten how to use a tool that I've been using for 10 years.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to konradm84

Same problem, updated yesterday (16.2.0 Illustrator CS6 on Mac 10.8.2) and I'm really mad I upgraded!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to konradm84

Experiencing same bug. Frustrating. Any news as to when Adobe will address this isue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to konradm84

I just wanted to post this problem! It appeared after the last update and totally breaks the workflow.

Illustration 16.2.0. 64bit Windows 7

Below a screenshot of what happens.

1. Select an object
    2. Select Eyedropper (I)
    3. Shift+Click into graphic to select a color. Here the color from the cloud on the bottom
    4. Foreground swatch is visually updated but not the artwork. This is the bug.
    5. Double-Clicking the foreground color opens the color picker with the old color. This makes it obvious that there is a problem with the Eyedropper logic.

problemeyedropper.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to konradm84

Hi all, I had the same problem just after an update from the 16.0.1 to the 16.0.3 version on Mac.

I use my time machine and return to the 16.0.1 and now work fine...

Hope adobe try to fix this problem...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to jcbaudot70

Yes!  Time Machine!  Thanks a million, I went back to 16.1.0 (Creative Cloud Subscription Version) and I can work again too.  Can't believe I forgot about that, and I also can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 12:25 AM   in reply to Bill.Hartung

I ´m happy that i had provide you help :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to konradm84

I've been having this problem as well, and it's driving me nuts. I use the eyedropper with shift constantly, and it's just not working. The frustrating thing is, the fill or stroke swatch displays the selected color, but the actual object doesn't change.

The only workaround I've found is to drag the fill swatch onto the stroke swatch, then drag the stroke back onto the fill, then clear the stroke. Infuriating! And I don't have an earlier version of the program (I'm in 16.0.3) to fall back on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to PhaethonDBB

I kind of admire dev team's guts not fixing this major bug asap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to konradm84

This is kind-of fixed now!

At least, it's less broken. I still can't shift-pick a color from an object in a group - which I *could* back in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to konradm84

I'm still having the problem in 16.2.0... super frustrating. I noticed that the active color swatch does update with the eyedropper, but the selcted path is not affected. My workaround is that I'll shift-select a color and then, using the 'Color' window, change one of the values, and then change it back to whatever my selection value was. Once I maniupuate one of those swatch values, it updates the color of my selection.

My new method will be to use PhaethonDBB's workflow of hitting Shift-X twice.

Adobe, please fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to Spacecat66

Spacecat,

I'm at 16.2.1 and it all works again on my end.

Here's hoping it will at yours, too

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to fruityth1ng

I am on 16.2.0, too and there are no updates available. It says up-to-date. The issue is still there. Fix it as soon as possible please. I am on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to fruityth1ng

fruityth1ng,

Thanks for the reply, but like Andrej Balaz, I'm still on 16.2.0 and the Adobe Application Manager says that I'm up to date. I am also on Windows (both the 32-bit and x64 versions say 16.2.0).

How did you end up with 16.2.1?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to konradm84

This appears to be fixed in the latest update. I'm now running 16.0.4 (on OS X) and the eyedropper seems to be behaving normally again. Anyone still having this problem should update ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to Spacecat66

Same for me as well...latest CCM version is 16.2.0...how was 16.2.1 acquired? Eyedropper issue is still present in 16.2.0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to PhaethonDBB

Waiting anxiously for the Windows update to 16.0.4 as I have a whole army of designers wanting my blood for upgrading them to CS6 16.0.3. =(

Adobe? Where is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to konradm84

After some tests, I've discovered that strokes and fills can be applied to a layer so that anything that is dragged into this layer will inherite these attributes.

Notice the 3rd Proxie from the top, in the left hand layers palette. It is appearing as no fill or stroke and yet there it is with an orange fill and a dashed stroke, (top row,2nd from left)

Snap_742.jpg

Though this selected object object appears filled and stroked, the Fill and Stroke proxies on the left show as none and none.

If this object was directly selected and filled with green, it's appearance would remain unchanged until it was dragged out of this layer, only then would it's true (basic appearance) fill of green become visible. This basic appearance appears to be what supplies the eyedropper tool.

Snap_743.jpg

This kernel of knowledge makes the eyedropper issues so much more managable.

I hope this has redeemed me a little for my earlier ranting and raving about the Adobe institution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to TrapperBob

I have version 16.2.1 (cloud) and my eyedropper is still having issues.  I checked the layers and the groups in case there is something funky going on.  But occasionally (not always) my eyedropper tool is placing #000000 into the object instead of the true appearance of a shape or text. 

Also, when I click on the color swatches within the toolbar at the bottom for the shape and fill of an object or text, they show up fine in the toolbar.  However, when I click on it to edit the color it shows up with the same #000000 instead of the color shown in the toolbar or in the object currently selected. 

Does anyone know how to fix this or what to do about it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:17 AM   in reply to kimberlyibourne

When is this going to be fixed? It's been several months and the eyedropper is still broken!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Andrej Balaz

Is this some kind of bad joke? It's been bugged since DECEMBER, how in the world is this still not fixed yet? I really wonder how the dev team even get paid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points