Skip navigation
Maria prabhudoss
Currently Being Moderated

Image differences

Dec 11, 2012 3:30 AM

Tags: #image

I have saw some differences(rotation) while opening the same image in the photoshop and imaging preview applications. imagerotate.GIFKindly advise me, why this difference occurs. I have attached the screen shot for your references.

Thanks for looking into this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

Maria prabhudoss wrote:

[...] why this difference occurs. [...]

I guess the file contains an orientation tag that instructs the displaying app to rotate the image, and Photoshop is obeying that but your other apps are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

Hopefully, someone who has experience in solving your problem will advise.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

But if i Saveas, that same image and open it in above mentioned "image

preview" application, its shows an correct view.

If conroy’s surmise is right that is to be expected.

Photoshop honors the metadata and rotates the image, when »Save As« is invoked the rotated image is saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

Conroy gave you the most likely correct answer possible in post #1.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

Most of the images showing a very correct view in both "photoshop" as well as "image preview" applications. Could you please advise me.

what is your capture device?

See if this info helps or applies to your setup:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

some interesting tidbits from the above site:

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Surprisingly, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (built into Windows XP) and Windows Photo Viewer (built into Windows 7) do not support the EXIF orientation flag. This is surprising, as the makers have obviously thought enough to support lossless rotation functions. So, what you will see shown by the viewer is the real image data (assuming landscape orientation), without respecting any indication from the camera as to the real orientation of the image.

Beware of Rotating Photos in Windows Picture / Photo Viewer!

Another surprising detail is that if you decide to perform lossless image rotation (by using the Rotate Clockwise or Rotate CounterClockwise buttons), the EXIF Orientation flag is removed! As the flag is removed/reset, if you do a rotation followed by its reverse rotation on a portrait photo (eg. rotate clockwise, then rotate counter-clockwise), the resulting orientation observed by other viewers such as Photoshop will be wrong!

In fact, when you use the rotate functions of Windows Picutre Viewer, most of the image metadata (camera information, shot details, makernotes, etc.) are deleted. Therefore, I strongly recommend against using this program to rotate any of your digital photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to Maria prabhudoss

A point and shoot? Yes, that will place camera orientation metadata in the image file. Keep the camera oriented the same for all photos. As far as your existing pictures... I'm not sure if a Save As in Photoshop (creating in a duplicate file with a diferent name) will erase the orientation marker. I'm sure Save For Web would, but you may not want to do that, especially if these are large files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points