Skip navigation
Pacific Frank
Currently Being Moderated

How to add a Description Column in the Content Panel (Bridge CS5)

Dec 11, 2012 6:44 AM

Tags: #bridge #bridge_cs5 #metadata #iptc #description

Hi,

Is it possible to add a Description Column in the Content Panel. If so, how?

I'm talking about the Description from the IPTC Core data and I'm using Bridge CS5.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

You can't add a panel that does not exist.  What are you trying to acomplish with the description panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

THere is a metadata panel, a keywords panel, but no description  panel.  If you want to add description to each image you can add this line of metadata in edit/preferences/thumbnails.  Click on down arrow in box and scroll down to description.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

You can have Bridge display IPTC Description in its Metadata Panel/Tab (along with IPTC lines such as Document Title, Keywords, Author, ...) under IPTC (IIM Legacy) and IPTC Core.   In Bridge:  Edit > Preferences > Metadata and check Description under IPTC (IIM Legacy) or IPTC Core (or both).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

I think you are confusing Workspace with Content Panel. 

Each panel has a tab which lables it. Where I am getting hung up is the Content Panel contains the thumbnails and may show keywords, filename, etc. depending on options chosen in View and preferences/thumbnails.  It can also just show thumbnails, list, or details.

Maybe a screen shot of what you are thinking of would be of help.  Like Robert says you can add Description in Metadata Panel, or like I suggested you can add Descripton under image, but you can not create another panel without some fancy programing as far as I know.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 11, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I think Frank means the content panel from the metadata workspace, and he is right to expect that option there but as many of the default workspaces it is next to useless

You can not enter the description field in this workspace because it is just (yes I know, it sounds unbelievable but sadly enough this is true...) not in the list and not possible to add.

Also adding a column in this workspace is far from easy. In short, the concept of this Metadata workspace is brilliant, the result a disaster...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

You can display the description if you use the Essentials workspace and set your preferences..

Bridge.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to Pacific Frank

Guess you understand screen shot better than written descriptions (post#4).  So here is Description field added to Metadata Panel.  Or is this not what you were looking for?

bridge meta.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 13, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Pacific Frank

This is the screenshot of the Metadata Workspace with the Content Panel (not Metadata Panel). As you can see it shows Name, Label, Keywords etc. but it's not possible to show Description in that list as a column.

I still agree that it would be a big bonus if you could alter this workspace with description field (even with more lines etc) but what Curt shows you might be an alternative. I couldn't help noticing that you have not created your own custom workspaces.

Try and play with this. You have the option to divide the window in 3 columns max but you can create different panels as a row in 1 column.

Grabbing a tab and move it to a new location until a single blue line appears (between the borders, a bit tricky). A vertical blue line means as a column and a horizontal line means a row. A surrounding blue line means same panel but adding as a tab. You can rearrange the tabs by dragging to left or right. under the menu window you can select which panels are visible or use right mouse click menu on top of a panel to choose.

Sadly enough only 3 columns and only one panel of it's kind per workspace, but you can resize the panels also to your own workflow needs.

In Bridge preferences you can change the colors for background in the general tab and in the metadata tab you can select what info to view in certain sections. Personally I have set my IPTC to view only description, keywords, date created and a few other subjects.

That is the nice thing about Bridge, creating custom workspaces, save them and being able to recreate them without problems :-)

I attach some screenshot of my daily workflow (with the luxury of having a 30' screen) but there are plenty of other options possible, don't forget to name and save your workspace.

Adobe Bridge CS6 Custom Workspace-1.png

Adobe Bridge CS6 Custom Workspace-2.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points