Skip navigation
roadshownews
Currently Being Moderated

Suggestions for drag-resizing images and not having wraps resize?

Dec 11, 2012 10:17 AM

Tags: #cs5 #scaling #text #images #wraps

Issue: I like to resize placed images manually — the 'ol drag by the corner method.

I've experimented with Prefs > General set to 'Apply to Content' vs 'Adjust Scaling Percentage' and find that I'm forced to make a choice between seeing scaling % update while I'm drag-resizing but having text wraps resize too, or not seeing scale % update and having text wraps unaffected by the scaling.

Problem is that ID 5 doesn't adjust the scaling % while you drag, unless you set Prefs > General to 'Adjust Scaling Percentage.' This will allow you to drag-resize images by dragging the Frame container, but any text wraps you have on that frame will resize as well.

When Prefs > General set to 'Apply to Content' you can resize the image by dragging the Frame container, but it's not reflecting the scale of the image, just the frame container, but dragging the image container will not display the scale of the image while you're dragging. Plus you then have to go back and fit the frame to the new image size (or use Fit Frame to Content to do it)

Does anyone have a solution that would allow me to resize images by dragging while watching the scale % increase or decrease, but not have it resize the text wrap?

Scaling the Frame container works if I just figure an image at 60% scale can be scaled to 140% when dragging it's Frame that started at 100% — but seems there must be a better way.

Thanks for any input.

Kirk

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to roadshownews

Yeah.

If I need a specific percentage of scale, I generally select the content (and make sure I've got the transform proxy set to move things in the correct direction) then enter the scale value and finally fit frame to content. This of course does not help if you've cropped the content.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to roadshownews

Scaling percentage really has nothing at all to do with whether you've enlarged beyond the point where an image is printable. That depends on the image type, resolution and your printing method. ID gives you both the "actual" resolution of your image (what photoshop says it is at the dimensions it was saved), and the "effective" resolution which is the resolution at the size it is being used on your page.

Effective resolution is the only number you need to worry about, and you can see it in the Info panel while you resize, or in the Links panel if you set it to show in the column options, and you can also set a minimum or maximum value in Live Preflight and watch for the red warning dot.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to roadshownews

You can see it in the Info panel (Window > Info) and it updates in real time, but it isn't in huge type.

Not that it will help now, but filing a feature request to make it available in the control panel would be a good idea, I think: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to roadshownews

It would show the scaling for the content, if you had selected the content and were scaling only that, but you are transforming the frame and scaling the content at the same time. It's basically one of those can't win situations. If you were given the scale percentage of the content, other users would be complaining that they can't read the scale of the frame when they want to.

The pragmatist in me says this is just one of those things you need to learn to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to roadshownews

You're right. I never really noticed that the scale doesn't update in real time in the Control panel. The scale percentage does update correctly though, once you release the mouse if you've selected the image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points