Skip navigation
bertchj
Currently Being Moderated

Animating line drawings?

Dec 12, 2012 10:16 AM

I recently watched a video on Vimeo that had a simple but cute hand drawn animation for the intro.  Here is a link to the video: http://vimeo.com/53869615  I've never explored animation, however I wouldn't mind trying some simple animations with line drawings but not sure where to start.  I'm mainly curious about the workflow on how one would go about creating an animation like this?

1) How do you compose the drawings?

2) How is the background animated to show motion relative to the car?  I can't imagine one would draw each frame over and over like a flip book?  At 24fps, for a 20 sec clip that would be 480 frames?

3) Would it be much simpler to create the drawings in Illustrator to be animated in After Effects?

I appreciate any advice!  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 12:22 AM   in reply to bertchj

Look up Andrew Kramer's blueprint tutorial. it covers all the basics from using masks to the Scribble effect. Beyond that you sure can find all sorts of variations on the theme, but most of them will involve some form of mask animation and stroke effects, complemented by conventional layer transform animation to create parallax for the illusion of motion. In any case, many of your questions will fall into place once you actually start using AE and understand its basic principles. Not much point in getting wound up in theoretical considerations before that and asking a hundred people about their favorite technique will result in 100 different answerrs and only confuse you further.

Getting started with After Effects

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to Mylenium

The car is just a loop of a couple frames, probably 8.  Then the background looks like one long matte painting that was probably just animated in After Effects with two keyframes to make the car look like it's driving.  For more information on doing hand-drawn animation in Photoshop and After Effects have a look at my blog.  I have made several tutorials on exactly this subject.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points