Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Playing video, audio, and multimedia formats in PDFs

Dec 11, 2012 11:50 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 11, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to Community Help

A link to an audio file with Acrobat Reader 11.0.0 on Mac OS X opens the audio file with an external multimedia viewer other than iTunes, even though the audio file is configured to be opened with iTunes. How can I view and change the Acrobat settings for opening multimedia content?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to valiente@lsi.upc.edu

You can change Preferences > Multimedia (legacy) > Preferred media player, but ultimately with legacy media it will play in what the operating system wants to use for that file extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

The available options in Preferences > Multimedia (legacy) > Preferred Media Player are only Flash and QuickTime for Adobe Reader 11.0.0 in Mac OS X 10.8.2, but still, audio files are launched with an external multimedia viewer other than iTunes, while these audio files are configured to be opened with iTunes and double-clicking opens them with iTunes, meaning the operating system does open these audio files with iTunes. There is definitely something wrong with the way Adobe Reader handles multimedia content under Mac OS X. Thanks again for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 12:19 AM   in reply to Community Help

In Reader, when playing a sound clip in a PDF, is there a way to Stop/Pause?

(An author I work with annotates a PDF for updates to a work, and dictates long passages for capture by a dictaphone typist. It would simplify matters if he could add dictation as sound clips to the PDF, but the typist would have to be able to pause the playback.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to GJ du Toit

For rich media annotaions you have to click on the playback controls, or if it's a legacy sound annotation without any visible interface you click on the region itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

I suspect I'm not seeing the obvious, but please bear with me ...

The sound clips are created in Adobe Reader as annotations, each inserting an icon into the document. When the icon is clicked, the clip plays from start to finish, with no controls for stop, pause, resume etc. Is there a way to show controls, or to play the sound in an external media player?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to GJ du Toit

'Audio notes' placed using the Record Audio tool on the Comment Pane  are only intended for very short media clips. There are no transport controls, only a 'play' command.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points