Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Eyedropper Bug

Dec 12, 2012 2:41 AM

Untitled.png

Ok, this is really ridiculous. Eyedropper tool is broken. Is this a known issue? Is there any way to revert to 16.0.2?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to An Elephant

What is it that you are trying to do?

Please explain better.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to An Elephant

Why Shift? Try picking up the colour without Shift.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

You need Shift in several cases, eg. to pick up a color from a gradient or to apply a fill color to a stroke. But that doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to An Elephant

What's targeted in the Appearance panel? Could be that the grey fill is applied at a different level than the green.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

It won't work even with simple objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to An Elephant

I am also in trouble.

It happened from 16.2.0 and 16.0.3.

I use eyedropper tool with [shift] to pick up only color without changing all Appearance.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to mitpes

I'm not seeing any issue here at all. Someone needs to explain a bit more and provide exact steps.

Is the Appearance selected when you double-click the Eyedropper Tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to An Elephant

This is a MAJOR issue. I use shift+click on the eyedropper upwards of 100 times per day for selecting colors for gradients, fonts, etc. As far as I know, there is no way to revert to an older version with the Creative Cloud, I am honestly considering uninstalling and going back to my old CS5 discs. My only hope is that with the Creative Cloud, hopefully a patch can be released alot faster.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

The cloud has nothing to do with it, the software is the same.

Again, no one is explainign well enough. Are you all on Windows and having this issue? Have you checked the eyedropper tool settings by double-clicking the tool?

Have any of you tried resetting preferences?

AI16.0.3 is operating exactly like 16.0.2 did in this respect for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to [scott w]

When I say Creative Cloud I am referring to the latest version of CS6, not the actual cloud. It's just faster to refer to it as such so everyone knows which version you are talking about.

I am on a Mac running version 16.2.0, so it seems you are way behind in your versioning. If you have ever used shift+click on the eyedropper, it really doesn't need any explaining. It either works or doesn't, and in version 16.2.0, it doesn't work at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

http://goo.gl/GPkzH - I selected the green box, hit shift+click with the eyedropper on the red text, and the box stays green, but the color panel shows it as red. That is a major bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

I'm not "way behind" on anything. Cloud version 16.2.0 = Non-Cloud version 16.0.2 same app.. just different number. (Adobe's logic to control versioning)

What needs explaining is what you've done. I've posted 2 or 3 simple things to check, have you checked those? Or are you simply here to stomp your feet, insult, and yell at other users? Everyone here is a user not Adobe staff. This is NOT a direct line of communication with Adobe.

Okay.. was providing steps so difficult?

Yes, I see that issue here as well. So it's broken in Mac OS 10.7.5 with version 16.0.3 as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Eyedropper tool with [shift]  can carry out regardless of the eyedropper setup by double-clicking the tool.

It is usual action for picking up only color.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to mitpes

My point was.. picking up color works just fine. Still does. It's the applying picked colors to selected objects which appears broken. You can still pick up a color with the Eyedropper Tool. It simply is not being auto-applied if the shift key is depressed.

Auto-apply words without shift. It seems to be a combination of shift-click with the Eyedropper Tool which breaks the auto-apply to selected objects.

Option clicking witht eh Eyedropper Tool still works as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Wow, didn't realize I disrespected you so much with my comments, I will try to be more sensitive from here on out.

To answer your question, I have tried the eye dropper settings and it has no affect. In my last post I attached a link to show the issue.

I realize these are user forums, but there is no way to contact Adobe with bugs, so by keeping a thread active, the hope is that someone might notice it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

Bug Reports (or feature requests): https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

My issue with the attitude is that the users here are only trying to help. I realize frustration can get people flared up. But anger or annoyance shouldn't be expressed to anyone here. We aren't in control of anything and are merely trying to confirm an issue or resolve it, that's all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Actually, I take back my comment about disrespecting you, I was not giving you any "attitude", you are being incredibly sensitive and trying to read tone in text. Don't make me feel bad or guilty by calling me out for what I said, in no way was I being insulting. I may be just a lowly "member", but if you think you can bully me with your MVP+++ status you are wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to An Elephant

Thank you for bringing this up. I've duplicated the issue as well when comparing 16.2.0 to 16.1.0.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

jasoncarulli.com wrote:

Actually, I take back my comment about disrespecting you, I was not giving you any "attitude", you are being incredibly sensitive and trying to read tone in text. Don't make me feel bad or guilty by calling me out for what I said, in no way was I being insulting. I may be just a lowly "member", but if you think you can bully me with your MVP+++ status you are wrong.

Sorry, I don't feel I'm the one with attitude here. Good luck to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to An Elephant

I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.2, and teh eye dropper tool functionality mentioned above is broke for me as well in 16.0.3. So annoying as I use this feature frequently.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to An Elephant

I'm having the same issue since I updated to 16.0.3. Didn't happen in version 16.0.2. I hope Adobe solve this bug asap as I use the eyesdropper a lot for strokes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Lord_Raid

I'm having the same issue. Using 16.0.3 - When shift-clicking with the eyedropper, it changes the foreground color on the pallete, but not the object that is selected. That will make you go a little nuts after a while.

(Mac OS X 10.6.8)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to An Elephant

Also, if you copy text that has a color and paste the text into another location, the color is not retained and defaults back to black.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to jasoncarulli.com

I've had the same issues since the update.  I've never used the Cloud so, that isn't the issue.  There is something buggy in that last revision that, I hope, will be fixed soon.  Being an avid eyedropper utilizer, this is a pain the flanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to An Elephant

When is Adobe going to fix this bug? Its been one month and a half now and the eyesdropper tool is still not working with strokes!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to An Elephant

I think i'm going to lose my mind. This is totally unacceptable as probably every user uses the eyedropper every other second. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Come on Adobe. Why are we paying for broken products?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to xMrHirschx

Same issue here, creative cloud CS6 16.2.0 + OS X 10.8.2. When using the eyedropper in combination with the shift key, only the preview in the tool menu seems to change, the selected object doesn't change at all. Mayor pain the the *** if you ask me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to An Elephant

This has magically fixed itself for me. Does anyone else here use "Font Explorer X" ?

I do, along with the "Astute Graphics" Plugins (the full set, they're gorgeous and you should try them).

I'm suspecting it might have to do with Font Explorer. Try quitting Font Explorer and starting Illustrator without it.

I also reinstalled Illustrator, but for the life of me don't know what else I "did right" to get my correct eye dropper behavior back.

I was really sad when it behaved backward, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know!

We filed plenty bugs about this I think

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to fruityth1ng

I do not use Font Explorer X, and I have the same issue... So, I have my doubts about it being font explorer.

I've also noticed since Adobe last updated Illustrator, my dynamic linking doesn't seem to be working anymore. If I make a change in Photoshop to a document that is linked in Illustrator, it's not updating. *sigh*

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to fruityth1ng

I neither have Font Explorer X nor the plugins :/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to Jessie-vp

I don't have FontExplorer X either and it's still not working for me. The stroke colour can be seen on the preview but it doesn't change on the shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to An Elephant

With this many people having the *exact* same bug - this is just not cool anymore.

I'm calling Adobe tech support to get to the bottom of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to fruityth1ng

Update to 16.4.0 (Cloud subscribers) or 16.0.4 (non-subscribers)... that's the fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Thanks, Scott.  That fixed the issue for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to [scott w]

That fixed it as well for me! \o/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I think this version is number 16.2.1 for cloud, and 16.0.4 for non-cloud.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points