Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Jagged edges on some text in all view modes

Dec 12, 2012 3:41 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs6 #jagged_text

Hi there,

I'm very new to InDesign and have trauled this forum for an answer to my question and tried lots of fixes but to no avail.

I have an 8 Page A5 document which I am working on and all was fine until yesterday. Any text I now create on a certain 2 page spread has a slight jagged edge around it, even when zoomed to 100%. When exported in PDF it is smooth again, but it just doesn't look very good when working on the document. All other text still is smooth.

I have anti alias on and high quality display performace switched on. The same happens in preview mode.

The first image of the same text is on the affected page and the second in on an unaffected page at the same zoom, 200%. You can see how much more jagged the first is. I have tried placing the text in it;s own separate layer on top of the other layers as suggested in other threads and I have made my display driver is up to date, which it is.

Any ideas?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 4:10 AM   in reply to MrPark121

I don't know if this is the problem, but I've seen some display anomalies when using the scroll wheel on the mouse (typically sideways scroll, but it happens with vertical sometimes, too). I know Logitech mice are affected, but I don't believe it's resticted to just the Logitech mice. Im most cases switching to the Hand tool (use the keyboard shortcut Alt/Opt + Spacebar to access it temporarily) and clicking will clear things up again, sometimes for the rest of the editing session. When I see this, though, it affect all pages not just one.

Does the type clear if you restart ID and reopen the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to MrPark121

Sounds like the frame might be corrupt, or even the page. You can try export to .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

I suspect, though, that you will need to replace the frame at the very least. You can copy a good one from another page if you like.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to MrPark121

You said it exports OK to PDF, so I think this is just a case of screen display anomalies tied to the transparency. Another well-known problem is text appearing bolder when transparency is introduced to the page. ID uses different text rendering methods when transparency is involved.

You can minimize problems with output (oulining or rasterized text) by keeping the text above any transparency in the file, but you can't fix the screen display.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points