Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign freezes when open

Dec 12, 2012 3:58 AM

Hello indesigners.

For some wierd reason today my indesign cs6 freezes,ive deleted recent fonts i installed incase it helps.

I uninstalled indesign then re installed,again nothing its freezes again. This has happened just today. Ive never came across this issue before.

the only way to get out of the program is by TASK MANAGER to end the task.

what has gone wrong?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Walk us through step by step what you are doing up to the point where it freezes...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to inquestflash

OK, first the Recovery folder, by defualt, will be in the AppData\LOCAL\Adobe\InDesign\[Version No]\[Language]\Caches folder, not under Roaming.

Second, a Hand is not a crash, and is not laikely to be casued by bad recovery data. It's more likely a program error or a plugin or a bad font. What's the last message you see in the splash screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to inquestflash

Each version of ID that's installed will have its own recovery folder that is used only by that version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to inquestflash

Clear the folder again. But you still have something on the system that's causing the problem in the first place.

Third-party Plugin? Font manager? Bad font (see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X)?

Did you reinstall the update?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

and Replace Your Preferences for good measure. That doesn't happen automatically when you reinstall. Won't hurt, if you get the file open again, to export to .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Do you actually have any third party plugins installed? They certainly would be my first candidates for removal, at least temporarily, to diagnose. The most common third party plugin is an auto-activation plugin from your font manager, if you use one.

You can use the manual method of replacing the prefs that I describe in the link. Besides bypassing speed problems with the keyboard it gives you the opportunity to back then up and replace them so you don't lose yor customizations if the replacement doesn't help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points