Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Left/right page orientation when inserting new pages.

Dec 12, 2012 9:34 AM

I am currently finishing off a catalogue, the catalogue was created by another person who has since left the company, resulting in the catalogue being half finished.

I have been tasked to sort the catalogue and make sure it is ready to be printed, whilst doing this I have needed to add pages for new products.

I have created a new page for a product and placed it where it needs to be, the numbering of the pages was automatically changed but I have a problem with the left/right page layout.

My page needs to be a right hand page, with the page number on the right side, this I have managed to do, but the pages after this are now messed up, for example the page after is set to right page, with the page number on the right, whereas it needs to be left.

I have found how to change the pages to the correct side manually, but once I do this, the page number doesn't move.

Is there anyway to automatically fix all the pages after my new one so that everything is left/right/left/right etc? And so that all the page numbers are on the right side of the page.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to RageXI

I'm not sure what you expect to happen when you add a single page in the middle of a document. When you print, a sheet of paper has two sides, and page 2 would be on the back of page 1. If you don't want subsequent pages to change sides, you must add pages in pairs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to RageXI

If your page numbers are set on a master page that has two pages, the numbers will stay in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to RageXI

Can you show us a screen shot please of the Pages panel so we can see how the file is currently set up?

You can emebed the image in a post by using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to RageXI

That changes my advice. First go into document setup and change the document to facing pages, then set the page numbers as above,

or after changing to facing pages, set just one master page with a text box across the bottom from margin to margin. Put the automatic page number in it, and set the alignment to "away from spine"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to RageXI

Is there also a .indb file that goes with this to organize it into a single Book for printing?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to RageXI

You've been dumped into a very complicated project for someone with no experience. Have you had any training at all in InDesign? Do you have any training materials available? Will the company pay for you to take training, like online classes at Lynda.com (a good investment for them, if they expect you to take on this project and others as part of your regular job).

If the sections are all combined into one single catalog when they get printed they will be combined using a Book file (.indb) that is really just a "container" wher you can organize the componenet files and sychronize styles and page numbers across the documents. While editing is still done in the individual .indd files, it's abit more complicated to keep track of pagination. A change in page count in one section ripples through all the following sections.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to RageXI

But adding pages can actually be a REALLY BIG DEAL when doing a project for print. Not only are you looking at swapping pages sides if you add an odd number of pages (which may be an aesthetic issue), but you could be adding hundreds, or thousands, of dollars to the cost of printing because the page count determines how many signatures, and how many plates and press changeovers will be necessary. Has anyone talked to the printer about changing the count?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to RageXI

RageXI wrote:

Most of the things I have done with ease, such as changing a images to the right colour mode

That may not have been required, or even desirable, depending on how the files are handled and if there is also supposed to be an online version. Color conversion can be done as part of the export to PDF, or even in the RIP at the printer, as long as there is no further correction required on the images after conversion, and leaving them in RGB allows for much more flexibility in how the files can be used. RGB images can be optimally converted to the correct profiles for different printing conditions and presses with greater fidelity than a CMYK to CMYK conversion and they can be used for online distribution, all from the same base file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to RageXI

I love bad analagies, so here's one to consider. You sound like a qualified Photoshop user being asked to work on InDesign just because they both pertain to printing. That sounds a little like asking a qualified auto-body technician to work on engines, just because they both pertain to cars.

I'm not saying that you can't do this job, because I don't really know, but, it might be worth considering bringing in a consultant just for this catalog job. As Peter has said, you might be risking lots of money for the company. If you are asked to stay on the catalog for next year, there's plenty of time to get yourself trained on using InDesign (as a tool), and page layout (the job you use the tool for).

My 2¢

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:03 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

How do you fix it when you have been adding documents to a book and everything is working, well, then when you add one document, it is throwing up a right orientation, when it should be a left and there are an even number of pages in the document before it?  Why is it doing this and how can you fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

I suppose the error is in setting up the document. If you have spreads with 2 pages you neet to set up your document with facing pages and set up the master page properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 4:01 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

I have set up the pages with facing pages and I have set up the master page properly.  Unless there is something hidden that I don't know about some where.  My master page has the numbering set up correctly, it has facing pages and the margins reflect what the facing pages should look like.

I have page numbering on automatic, except for one chapter where it starts at 1.

I have the pages on shuffle, I have tried synching everything.

I have facing pages on in the document set ups.  I had a perfect book, until I changed the page numbering to start at 1 after the contents page, then removed the front and back cover.

Now I have a book that keeps shutting down and is throwing up odd pages.

But thanks for trying to resovle my issue.  I do appreciate your suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to HayleySolich

HayleySolich wrote:

I have page numbering on automatic, except for one chapter where it starts at 1.

Page 1 is always a right-hand page in versions where you read left-to-right UNLESS you've gone through a lot of gyrations to disable shuffling and force it to the left. For waht it's worth, there is a long tradition of odd numbers on rectos and evens on versos, and that's what readers expect. Defying that tradition, in my opinion, is poor design.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points