Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Appearance Palette question

Dec 12, 2012 9:32 AM

I am absolutely sure that I am doing something wrong here, but please bear with me – I am new to the Appearance palette

See screen shot attached. (the text "Helvetica")

I have created some live text (ie: it remains editable)

I have given it a fill of black and a heavy (7pt) stroke of blue.

I cannot appear to rearrange the stroke so that it falls beneath the fill

I assumed it would simply be question of dragging it below, as one would with the Layers

However, when I converted the text to outlines (in this case the text "UNIVERS") it works.

And also why are the eyes in the first coloumn grayed out when the text is live.

But not so when text is outlined?

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this?screen shots.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Paul Stedman

Live text always has the stroke above the fill. Always. You can't change it and you aren't doing anything wrong.

If you want live text with a stroke, apply the stroke above the character level, and not at the text level. In other words, select the text with the Selection Tool (Black Arrow) then click the "New Stroke" button on the bottom of the Appearance Panel and move that stroke below the Characters.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Paul Stedman

To enable what you want to do you will need to explore the Add New Stroke and Add New Fill in the Apperance panel. The easiest way to do what you want is to select the text and in the Appearance panel choose Add New Stroke. Click-hold on that row in the Appearance panel and drag in below the line that says Contents. You can also play with removing the fill at the character level entirely and then with the Add New Fill you can use a pattern fill for the letters. Remenber that the stroke will be half hidden by the fill.

Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 10.03.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 10.04.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 10.06.27 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I would have included imsges as well if the forum's insert image code wasn't broken in Chrome/Mac

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Thanks for the heads-up, Scott. I may have to go to Chrome at work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Scott, you're preferring Chrome to Safari these days? Give me a quick lesson on why if you have the time. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Since Paul's issue seems resolved.. I'll venture of topic a bit. Sorry if you get emails Paul.

I much prefer Chrome anymore. Solved the image issue as well.. seems if Chrome's zoom level is not at 100% the insert image code doesn't work correctly. Resetting the zoom to 100% fixed it. (solved via the Forum forum here).

While Safari has better font rendering, Chrome is much faster and more dependable for me. Safari has increasingly gotten slower as it ages. In addition, the extensions avaialble for Chrome fit my needs better - block trackers and cookies is a big concern of mine and there are a couple great Chrome extensions and merely a few half-baked Safari extensions from what I've seen.

While I still prefer Safari's font rendering, Chrome is a very close second place and still light years ahead of Firefox or any other browser.

In addition, the speed at which Chrome is updated ensures it's the most compatible browser to be coding for. Everyone is playing catch up to where Chrome is already at.

While I still fall back to Safari in many cases, given the choice I use Chrome. I can't set Chrome as the default browser becuase the OS freaks out when you do that on a Mac (smells like MS/IE anti-trust to me only Apple/Safari instead). But if I could, I'd pretty much be done with Safari until Apple improves rendering speeds.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to [scott w]

As always, a complete and rational explanation. Guess what I'm going to download now.

(Sorry I tugged you off topic. As you were.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points