I have a Word 2010 document that contains both portrait and landscape pages. Uses odd/even headers w/page numbers in Engraver's Gothic font. When I print the Word document to Adobe Pro, it looks great on screen but when printed out, the typeface of the headers is distorted on landscape pages only. Looks like each letter is tilted at an angle and it give it a comic font effect. Portrait pages are just fine. I am out of ideas on how to fix this. Can anyone help?
Hmm. I don't know, about that. You are having font issues. A good rule of thumb when having font problems is to make sure all the fonts are embedded. This is set in Acrobat Preferences, Settings, Advanced Settings on the Fonts tab.
Are you using the Regular (not italic, not bold) version of the font? I believe this font does not have a true italic, although Word will allow you to italicize it and the screen will display an "italic" it is faked by the display. If you were using italic, and rotated it, anything could happen. It might print on a printer, but when going to Acrobat you are using a postscript interpreter not the same as a PCL printer.
So I'd like to rule out that--is the header in question italicized?
Unfortunately, the header is italicized. I did check though, and the font is embedded (all the local fonts are embedded). The IT group in my building were getting ready to push out Version XI next week but they are going to go ahead and load it on my computer later today to see if that will make a difference. Hopefully it will.
One of the ways to address the font issue is to use a settings file that embeds all fonts. The Press and Print settings do that. The Standard setting does not embed all fonts. You might also try the WORD 2010 plugin for creating PDFs and see if there is a difference. As usual, the MS plugin seems to mess some other things up, but it might give you a guide to where the problem is. If you can post a sample document some place for use to look at, it might help in identifying the issue.
I did try the Word 2010 plug in and it did the same thing. One interesting thing--one of my colleagues has an HP printer/scanner at his desk. He scanned in one of the WORD landscape pages, made it into a pdf, and it worked just fine. Unfortunately, by doing it this way, it reduced the output quality which is critical since the document is an article to be published in a professional journal. I am going to see if I can attach an image of a couple of the pages that show the correct header and the incorrect header.
I wish you the best of luck but I wouldn't be surprised if you have this problem after your upgrade because it's not Acrobat. It's the font.
While embedding is important, you can't embed what is not there. The problem is the font you are using does not have a built-in italic style. Word is faking it by slanting the font. When the page is rotated it just can't do a good job of it.
If you were using Indesign or a true page layout program, you would not be able to choose "italic" if the font did not contain a real set of italicized characters. Unless you really dig for it, Word doesn't give you information or warnings about fonts. It just puts a slant on the characters and lets it go.
If you search for this font face online maybe you can find a version or one similar to it that really has italic--if no italicized version is displayed on the font site it doesn't have it.
Well, they finished installing Version XI and the problem is fixed. IT people here are as baffled as everyone else. They were beginning to think it was a printer problem. But, for now, the change in software version did the trick. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. It's nice to know there are "puzzle solvers" out there who are willing to share their time and knowledge.