Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Playback feature may not be available on this disc

Dec 12, 2012 2:53 PM

When I burn my films to disc, they won't play.  The DVD player gives the message, "Playback feature may not be available on this disc."  If I try to play the discs on my computer, nothing happens.  This is a 2-disc project, and the same thing is happening with each of them.  I have burned several discs before--including an earlier version of these two.  The only thing I did differently this time, was save them to a file.  Must I burn them directly to disc?  Since I need to make 20 copies of each, can I cancel the instruction for the other 19 if the first one still doesn't work?  I'm using Premiere Elements 10 with Windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to levalley

If you browse the disc on your computer, is there a VIDEO_TS folder on it? If so, the software did its job. Something else is up.

You can also use Publish & Share/Disc to burn your files to your hard drive rather than directly to a disc. This saves you a lot of time if you're making several copies, because then it's just a matter of using a disc burning program (like the amazing free download ImgBurn) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc (as I show you in my books, if you're interested).

If your disc does have a VIDEO_TS folder on it and it still doesn't play, it could be a number of issues:

1) Your disc is of a poor quality -- very common with Memorex discs, which have a very high failure rate.

2) You burned your disc at too high a speed. (It's best to burn it at half the rated speed.)

3) Your disc player just doesn't like home-burned discs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to levalley

Please use the method I described above.

ImgBurn includes a checkbox for verifying the disc after it's been burned. Virtually every disc I've verified after burning with ImgBurn works for all of my clients and friends.

Though I am concerned about your not being able to play back the disc on your computer. What program are you trying to play it with? Have you tried VLC Player (a free download)?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to levalley

and several larger VTS files.

I assume that you meant to type "VOB files," as VST's are plug-ins for audio-editing, and VOB files are the Video Object files, that contain the Menus and navigation (if used), in the first, plus spanned MPEG-2 files (the actual AV files). The VIDEO_TS folder should contain the BUP, IFO and VOB files in it.

For multiple copies of a DVD Project, I like to Burn to Folder, creating the VIDEO_TS folder w/ the necessary files, on the destination HDD. Then, I use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical Burn to Disc, and just feed high-quality blank DVD's into the burner, as required. I recommend the Falcon Pro, Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden blank discs, and I also use ImgBurn to burn at a lower speed, say around 4x. PrE will automatically set the burn speed, based on the speed of the burner, and on the media used. I like to go a step further, and adjust that burn speed down, for the best possible burn. ImgBurn will allow one to do that, where PrE cannot.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to levalley

What brand of blank media did you burn to?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to levalley

Actually, Memorex is about the worst major brand, that one can use. Their business model is to buy the cheapest discs that day, and then rebrand them with their logo. In a spindle of 50, one will likely find 4 different brands of blank disc.

Now, if that is all that you have, I would use a little utility, built into ImgBurn, and check the blank media, to see exactly what brand, and what lot it is. You might get lucky and get some good ones. If you have ImgBurn running, and insert a blank disc, it will survey that blank disc, and report what the real brand is, plus the lot number in most cases. You might be surprised at what you see, if you stick all of your Memorex discs into your multi-drive.

I strongly recommend Verbatim, Falcon Pro or Taiyo-Yuden. The latter two are likely only available on-line. I do not recommend Memorex, TDK (recent discs), Ritek (recent discs) or any "store brand." I hear that Sony discs are good, but have not tried them, as I only use the three recommended discs.

The brand of blank media can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to levalley

>reduced the failure rate from 100% to 25%--still not good

I have a 100% success rate when using Imgburn... so the next thing to consider is your DVD writer

What is your brand/model, and have you checked the vendor site to see if there is a firmware update that says it fixes problems?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to levalley

Imgburn is the software that uses your hardware to write a DVD

You go to Control Panel and then Hardware and then Device Manager to see all the hardware in your computer

With your failure rate, my best GUESS is that you either have a bad/failing drive, or a drive that is in need of a firmware update to fix bugs

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to levalley

I Googled DH16AASH and there are MANY discussions... is your computer made by HP?

Anyway, I did not read any of the discussions I found via Google, but it MAY be that you need a firmware update to fix problems

I do NOT recommend that you do a firmware update if you do not know what you are doing, since a failed update will result in a non-functioning drive

At this point, I really don't have any other ideas (well, replacing the DVD drive with something else comes to mind, but based on what you have said so far, I don't get the impression that you are comfortable with taking a computer apart to replace a component)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to levalley

I do not recall seeing issues with HP multi-drives, but about 18 mos. ago, Dell had a bad batch of multi-drives, and their fix was to provide (or install), a new multi-drive in the users' computers. I do not recall the actual brand of multi-drives, causing the issue, but I suppose that it's possible that HP might have been affected too?

My first step in troubleshooting would be to check with the actual mfgr. of the multi-drive, to see if there is a firmware update. If there is, be VERY SURE to read the installation instructions, and follow them 100%.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points