Skip navigation
wreckandcavediver
Currently Being Moderated

Can not save in Photoshop 7.0; error message

Dec 12, 2012 5:47 PM

I have been modifying several jpeg images - changing background color mostly. Some of them save successfully, others do not.  There is no apparent difference between the verious jpegs (size, etc).

On the ones that will not save, I get the following error message:  "Could not complete your request becaause of a program error".

I have tried various things to fix that I have found by Goolgling - changing the printer, re-loading Photoshop.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to wreckandcavediver

Has this ever happened before?  If it has worked well up to now I would suggest resettng preferences.  Believe it is same as current versions.  Start PS and immediatelly hold down shift alt ctrl keys.  If fast enough you will get a reset window.

Reloading PS will not affect this file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to wreckandcavediver

PS7 is ancient so can not access HD more than 1T.  If you have a huge drive you will have to create a partition.  Does this apply to you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to wreckandcavediver

For one thing, Photoshop 7.0 doesn't understand modern (huge) disk sizes.

Beyond that, it is 6 major versions out of date, having been developed for Windows XP.  What OS are you running?

You can't even hope to run it at all on a modern Macintosh.

Why are you trying to use such an ancient version?  It might be possible to get it to work under certain controlled circumstances, but maybe you want to consider moving up to a modern version?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to wreckandcavediver

Jana,

Can you tell us what the full specs. are, for your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) size, free-space, controller type, and speed?

A "partition" is the creation of several "logical volumes" on a single "physical HDD." It was required, going back in time, when the OS's, and the programs, of that day, could not address larger HDD's. As a "for instance," PS could only see 4GB of HDD space, for use as Scratch Disks. I cannot recall just when PS could see, and use, larger HDD's, but think that it was as of CS (the next version after PS 7). Also, there was an important update for PS 7, and it think that it was PS 7.0.1. If you have not applied that update, I would do so.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 12:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

More and More Photoshoppers are returning to Photoshop 7 it is in may ways the best version ever made .....The above advice is very relevant ie Partition not too big and above all the 32bit version of Windows 7 or XP

I have never had trouble and do infact run Photoshop 4,5.5,6 and 7.........have to use CS5 at work!!!!.....Good Luck

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points