Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Please make 13.1 update available to full license holders!!

Dec 12, 2012 5:26 PM

Tags: #ps #cs6 #13.1_upgrade

Hi all. Will there be no 13.1 update for full license purchasers in the near future?? If there is no plan to do so please change that policy and make it available to us. It feels like a snub for buying rather than renting. Renting is not the best option for some of us for various reasons including shakey finances etc. Will we have to wait for a new version and then upgrade? Are you phasing us out? Why not make it available to us as a mini upgrade like CS5 to CS5.1? Not feeling loved, Uhane

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to uhanepono

I don't see what the uproar is about.  This is the way it has always been.  Enhancements were saved until the next version.

Now if you want the new enhancements you have to adopt the new method of the cloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to uhanepono

For a further discussion on the subject read this thread  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1113637?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to uhanepono

I am a loyal paying customer and am very annoyed that the new Photoshop features are for Creative Cloud subscribers only!

I own CS4 Master Collection, CS5 Design Premium, CS5.5 Design Premium and CS6 Design & Web Premium.

Check out the new features of PS Creative Cloud version:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/12/new-exclusive-photoshop -features-for-creative-cloud-members.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to uhanepono

uhanepono wrote:

I don't like having to rely on the internet to get things done, not where I live.

Hi Uhane,

With the subscription, you don't need to rely on the internet. Photoshop is installed on your machine (and whatever other Adobe applications you choose).

Here's a statement from the FAQ that might be helpful.  http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.edu.html

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

Thanks,

Meredith

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 13, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Meredith Payne Stotzner

Meredith Payne Stotz wrote:

With the subscription, you don't need to rely on the internet.

Meredith, I understand that you're trying to reassure Uhane that the software is not running by loading through the Internet, but...

Doesn't the Subscription needing to be reverified regularly by the software constitute "relying on the internet"?

I don't know if there are folks who run systems disconnected from the internet for longer than a month at a time, but I suspect there are.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

You might have missed  "However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

You are correct.

I should just let the FAQ do the talking .

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.edu.html

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications?

Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to Curt Y

"Now if you want the new enhancements you have to adopt the new method of the cloud."

Using the cloud and all the cr*p associated with it is not an "enhancement". It's BS...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to TLL...

It is a well know fact that "new and improved" in most cases translates to "made with cheaper stuff and does not work as well".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Based on Adobe's recent track record of bugs. How is the cloud update process handled? Can one remain on a recent mostly bug free version and for how long?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to uhanepono

You can pay $200 to upgrade PS every 18 months and get new features when PS14 comes out, OR you can pay $360/18-months and get them when they are ready.  For me the 80% increase in the subscription cost is not worth having the new features early.  $200/18-months is $11.11 per month so I might be persuaded to pay $12 for new features early but not $20/month.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Ah, you forgot the 6.5 (13.5) version due out around may.

Remember cs5 5.1?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 13, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to jeep57

Actually, Photoshop CS5.1 was 12.1. 

Don't look now but 13.1 has just come out, and it actually has features 13.0 didn't have (unlike 12.1 as compared to 12.0, as both were workalikes).

Even if you COULD buy a Perpetual license upgrade to 13.1 (which I'm pretty sure you can't and won't be able to do), it wouldn't make much sense to pay $199 for such an upgrade just 7 months after the initial release of 13.0.  That's almost $30 a month.

Maybe cloud subscribers can expect a +.1 version update every 6 months or so - that remains to be seen.  Perpetual licensees just won't get the (minor) new feature enhancements.

It's no secret that Adobe WANTS us to move up to the Subscription model, and now they're offering the first tangible added value for doing so.  Of course, being left behind just feels, well, like being left behind to people who have not chosen to move to the subscription model.

Adobe has valuable software and they know it. Capitalism is all about trading something valuable for something else that's valuable.  Capitalism in the new millenium is all about getting people to pay by the month from now on.

-Noel

P.S., SSPrengel, don't forget that the $20 a month subscription gets you Photoshop Extended, not Standard.

P.P.S., I wonder whether there will ever be a 13.0.3.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 13, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to uhanepono

By the way, something I've not seen mentioned...

Why not offer, as part of the subscription model, the ability to prepay in advance for more than one month (ideally with a discount)?

The sofware would activate for the full period of time pre-paid.

Seems like that would nicely cover the cases where people don't want to have computers continuously or regularly connected to the Internet.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Was DYP

Was DYP wrote:

Based on Adobe's recent track record of bugs. How is the cloud update process handled? Can one remain on a recent mostly bug free version and for how long?

Does no one know the answer to this question?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

...P.P.S., I wonder whether there will ever be a 13.0.3.

A most legitimate question.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Whatever the version is called, there will be another photoshop version that perpetual license holders will need upgrade to before photoshop cs7.

And you'll have to upgrade because of the one version back policy, that i'm sure your aware of.

So instead of $199 every 18 months, now its $400 roughly every 18 months or $1000 for extended users.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to jeep57

I suspected that the $360/18-months might be PS Extended, but I specifically looked and didn’t see “Extended” mentioned, and it was the white-sticker-face logo of Standard not the black-and-blue-feathers-face logo of Extended.  If so then the $20 a month is ok if I wanted Extended, I just don’t need it so would rather not pay for it and not use the features.  I am just editing my photos and want the ACR version to be the same as the Lightroom version.  I don’t care to do 3D and whatever else that isn’t related to photo-editing. 

To me “one version back” means CS6 to CS7, not CS6 to CS 6.1 and CS 6.1 to CS6.2 and CS 6.2 to CS7, or however few or many dot versions there might be, each being $200.  So I guess we’ll see.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to jeep57

jeep57 wrote:

...So instead of $199 every 18 months, now its $400 roughly every 18 months or $1000 for extended users.

The mere thought of paying a monthly tribute to Adobe in perpetuity and still end up owning nothing after several years is inherently abhorrent to me, much more so at those prices.

It's definitely out of the question for mere photography enthusiasts and camera collectors, so the scheme only makes sense for professionals using the application in the course of business.

It's not hard to imagine pirates hacking the rental model version periodically.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to ssprengel

i could not have said it better!!!

i think they are going to regret this business model.

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

By the way, something I've not seen mentioned...

Why not offer, as part of the subscription model, the ability to prepay in advance for more than one month (ideally with a discount)?

The sofware would activate for the full period of time pre-paid.

Seems like that would nicely cover the cases where people don't want to have computers continuously or regularly connected to the Internet.

-Noel

It's mentioned in the FAQ - there is a 1-year subscription available.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.edu.html

What membership plans are available?

Creative Cloud for individuals:

When you join Creative Cloud directly from Adobe, you can choose from an annual or month-to-month plan. The annual plan has lower monthly payments and requires that you remain a member for the entire year; you can cancel within that year, but you will need to pay a fee to do so. The annual plan will automatically renew for the next 12-month period after the initial term has been met.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to Meredith Payne Stotzner

Meredith Payne Stotz wrote:

It's mentioned in the FAQ - there is a 1-year subscription available.

Yes, but both 1 year subscription and month-to-month are paid on a month-by-month basis. You just pay less per month when you sign up for a yearly subscription.

There's no option to pay 3 months, 6 months or 12 months in advance - which is what Noel is asking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

The mere thought of paying a monthly tribute to Adobe in perpetuity and still end up owning nothing after several years is inherently abhorrent to me, much more so at those prices.

It's definitely out of the question for mere photography enthusiasts and camera collectors, so the scheme only makes sense for professionals using the application in the course of business.

It's not hard to imagine pirates hacking the rental model version periodically.

And I guess you will be forced to upgrade to the latest software no matter how buggy, unuseful or features removed it becomes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Your'e right it is a little disappointing as a customer who uses CS Design Standard and LR and because of the region I live in I have no option to use the creative cloud membership.

It is a little disconcerting that you can pay $1300 and be treated as a second class customer ... I guess it is the way Adobe is going, as in the past they have brought opposition products to shelve them they look as though they wish to shelve customers who buy the product. And the options prove that there is no respect for customers who purchase the product ... same product mind you.

Design Standard ; $1300 full purchase

Cloud Sub (M by M); $900/year

One Year Sub; $600/year

It does leave a bitter taste in the mouth ... especially if we rely on the products and pay for them and don't get access to updates.

BTW The cloud version is download like all others, so we could have access to them if Adobe wanted to give us access.

Saddened.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,969 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to uhanepono

uhanepono wrote:

You may be better off waiting for CS7 maybe Adobe will have fixed some of the bugs by then and not introduce as may new bugs as they did in CS6..

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to BKKDon

BKKDon wrote:

It is a little disconcerting that you can pay $1300 and be treated as a second class customer

I think you just hit the nail on the head.  It's about losing power as consumers.

In the past, buying a Perpetual license, e.g. for the Creative Suite, traditionally got we the best software.  We all feel shelling out a big wad of cash up front should be worth a lot to the people we're buying from.

Now Adobe has found a way to make even more money by hiding the true cost in monthly payments while at the same time increasing the value of the software in some ways (and reducing it in others).  Of course they're only going to tout the increases, to help sell subscriptions.

Those of us now with Perpetual licenses see that we no longer have the best software, yet traditionally we have always found that paying a lot of money up front has always been the way to get the best.  In this change lies the disconnect

Waving a big wad of cash around is no longer the most powerful way to weild your consumer power. 

Making a committment to pay every month forever more trumps it.

When you think about the financial details, it's no surprise that those who are willing to commit to paying Adobe every month -  utimately shelling out more by giving up the option to skip future updates, get the best software.  Adobe has valuable software and essentially no competition.  You can't blame them for making the most of it.

We all grumble at those making money off us a bit at a time.  Do you love your bank?  Your cell phone provider?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,969 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Those of us now with Perpetual licenses see that we no longer have the best software, yet traditionally we have always found that paying a lot of money up front has always been the way to get the best.  In this change lies the disconnect

You may not have the latest features and bugs but your in control and not totally dependant on Adobe Support.  If there is one thing I have learned dealing with Adobe its you don't want to be dependant on Adobe Support its the pits.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to JJMack

You may be better off waiting for CS7 maybe Adobe will have fixed some of the bugs by then and not introduce as may new bugs as they did in CS6..

The recent track record would indicte that new bugs will be indroduced. If there even is a CS7?  Probably only Creative Cloud by then!

And if you have creative cloud you have no choice but to accept them.

And apparently you will not be able to use an older less buggy, more compatable with old OS, older extension version.

At least at this point I have not been told otherwise.

Seems nobody with Adobe wants to tell the truth here.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

It's about losing power as consumers.

Pretty much this. If the  design software ecosystem was a thriving marketplace of options where everyone is one-uping each other I could possibly see a justification for a subscription plan. The reality is there are no viable subtitutes for PSD and Illustrator (and really Indesign, Quark- ha!) among other Adobe products.

The only power consumers have in this environment is to vote with their wallet on the worth of a major software  upgrade or keep using the old version. If Adobe becomes reliant on the subscription model for product decisions the incentive and budgeting for innovation and addressing customer concerns will almost certainly drop since they have a captive consumer with no alternatives from competitors.

At my business I have made the decision for us to stick with CS5 and skip CS6 because of several decisions I don't agree with. I know a handful of suite upgrades are just a drop in the bucket for Adobe but I greatly value the ablility to send a monetary message.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,969 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Was DYP

I don't think Adobe want to do themselves in. If one can not control their own development process old Adobe Products will be use and the new cloud model will fail. For the cloud model to succeed it must work not be buggy. Users need to able to choose which update get pushed to their environment for being dependant on Adobe Support is insane.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Evil Lair

There are a couple of threads on the same subject.  There are loads of responses that essencially say "I want the updates that Cloud Subscribers Get".  Noel did a good piece on how much the prorated monthly fee would be to pay your fair share.  But I do not see much in the way of yes, I would pay and extra $100 per year to keep my perpetual licence updated the same as the Cloud.

And it you pay your $200 for the upgrade to CS6 and an extra $100 per year for upgrades, would you be happy if there was only one update per year?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Curt Y

In addition to all that's been said, the question of how to license Photoshop defies oversimplification...

Having had a taste of 3D with Photoshop CS6 Extended - the first Extended I've had - I find I do not really want to drop back to the Standard edition.  If one assumes staying current with Photoshop Extended from now on, which has traditionally been a $399 upgrade fee for major versions, then the cost comparison becomes very interesting indeed.  It actually works out roughly the same for the Photoshop-only subscription vs. taking the Perpetual license upgrade path.  So then one is faced with:  Do I pay the money for perpetual major upgrades for Extended, missing out on incremental intermediate releases the subscribers get, or do I pay the same money and resign myself to the concept of software that will stop working the next month after I choose to stop paying for it.

In the eventuality that Adobe releases a version you just don't want to stay current with, you COULD buy a copy and be done, but you might not then be able to buy a perpetual license for the version you would like to stay with (e.g., what if a person right now didn't like Photoshop CS6?  Can they find a copy of Photoshop CS5 to buy?).

It kind of boils down to this:  What does your crystal ball say about the future?  How many here haven't been through some lean times?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points