Skip navigation
ianmcarey
Currently Being Moderated

Recolor artwork - how to preserve spot color in tints & shades?

Dec 12, 2012 6:48 PM

Tags: #illustrator #spot #cs6 #recolor_artwork

Hello, working in CS6, OS 10.6.8. I'm working on a 3-color screen print CD label, and the colors will be a white background, plus black and a PMS color. I've been recoloring some CMYK artwork to use in the design, and really liked the results of Recolor Artwork (selecting only black and the spot color), until I noticed that when I selected "tints & shades" it converted everything with black in it to process (which I know Adobe says is why you shouldn't select that option).

But my question is, how can I get the same effect (that is, using shades of the spot color "mixed" with black) without having it convert the shades to process? I'm sure it involves overprinting, but I'm hitting a big hole in my knowledge.

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to ianmcarey

If I understand you correctly, you want to colorize the selected colors with tints of the same pantone color?

If so, you need to create a color group with all the tints of the pantone color. One way to do this is to create a blend with specified steps between two tints 100% and 0% of a pantone color. If you choose 100 steps after you expand the blend you will have 100 tints of the same pantone color. While selected, from the menu of the Swatches panel choose New Color Group and in the dialog check Include Swatches for Tints.

In the Recolor Artwork > Recolor Options, for Colorize Method choose Preserve Tints. Then back to the Recolor Artwork window, on the right side, in the Color Groups pane, click the color group with the tints of the pantone color you created.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to ianmcarey

You simply cannot produce "Mixed Inks" in Illustrator.

You need to use overprinting black, but you cannot generate it automatically with "Recolor art"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to ianmcarey

For future reference, InDesign supports mixed inks (if your project could be done there).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points