Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it the graphics card?

Dec 13, 2012 11:13 AM

I'm running premiere 6.0.... I just built a new machine because the old one was too slow.  I used a mid-level gigabyte motherboard, intel core i5 processor (3.8's), 16 gb ram and the nvidia (evga) gtx 570 graphics card.  The system is dissappointingly slow... any time i drop a clip into the preview monitor  I get the 'video is unavailable' screen for a good 30 seconds.  Longer for longer clips.  The machine will not play even a single layer of 'yellow' video without rendering... forget multiple layers... the timeline stays yellow but the machine will not play it unless I force the sequence to render. 

I have a friend with a similar system except he's using one of the mid-range quadro video cards... his system plows through any timeline, loads video instantly even from usb 2.0 external drives.  We're both editing AVCHD 1080i video... mine exists on a raid 0, his on various usb 2.0 hard drives. 

Could my graphics card simply not be enough card?  Could the card be bad?  It is a refurb from evga.... their stuff is usually very reliable. 

I'd appreciate any feedback and advice!

Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to dan charger media

>premiere 6.0

Is there some reason you have not installed the updates?

>gtx 570 graphics card

I don't remember if that card is directly supported, or if you have to do the hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

Does yours show hardware MPE as being available?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to dan charger media
    Could my graphics card simply not be enough card?

No, the card doesn't help at all with simple playback.  Something else is going on.

See if this helps:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/audio-video-glitches-avchd.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to dan charger media

OK.

That's only part of it.  Are your clips longer than 20 minutes?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to dan charger media

1st, go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ to see the speed ranking

>Which I-7 processors

I don't know the i5, so is your motherboard a socket 1155, or ???

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to dan charger media

Yeah... the clips are sometimes an hour or so.

Ok, so it's likely you're suffering from the AVCHD bug. The current solutions for that are to use an older version of PP until Adobe fixes the issue with CS6, or to convert your clips into something else.  This is all covered at that same link.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to dan charger media

Which I-7 processors would you recommend?

For this media, the 3770K or the 3930K.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to dan charger media

My experience with an i5 2500k (3.3ghz) and GTX 560ti and 16gb ram is it handles AVCHD just dandy. However this is using premiere CS5.5.

CPU throttles at 30-35%.

It doesn't handle multicam very well with AVCHD(2 cams max), but works fine with other HD codecs including H.264.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

Just so I'm reading the PPBM5 website correctly.. are the benchmark results reporting that the GeForce 680 GTX renders twice as fast as the GeForce 560 GTX? Under the MPE Gain Chart, the GTX 680 render time is 6.00s and the GTX 560 render time is 12.95s.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to SMG720

That is correct, but there are some caveats in looking at these average numbers. If you were to test the 680 and 560 in the same system, you would find much smaller differences. If you look at the CS6 results only, you will see that the difference is much smaller, 3.75s versus 5.00s. Still, the 680 is much faster, but also carries a much more hefty price tag. Now also take into consideration that it makes sense to install a 680 in very fast systems. Nearly all the 680's are installed on hexa core systems that are usually overclocked and have at least 16, but more commonly 32 or 64 GB memory. OTOH, 560's are much more common on more economical systems, often quad cores, but also on i5 systems that lack hyperthreading and the amount of memory is often 8 or 16 GB.

Generally people want a balanced system, so spending € 200 on a 560 makes sense for economical systems, say around € 2000 and on such systems a € 400-500 680 card is considered overkill. I guess that as a general rule of thumb a video card on a balanced system amounts to around 10-12% of the total cost. The implication is of course that 'Warrior' systems of € 4-5K are much more likely to have a 680 installed.

So be careful in how to interpret the figures shown.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to dan charger media

[moved to hardware forum]

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to dan charger media

Have you tuned your system to eliminate processes that steal processing cycles from Premiere? 

Also your processor (i5-3570K) does not have hyperthreading available while the proposed i7-3770K does

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks for the detailed feedback and pointing me to that chart listed below. It definitely tells a different story (15-20% faster). I have a quad core system with 16GB memory and while rendering, I never see the CPU go above 40% and there's still 10G memory free reported from Task Manager. So, I don't think it's either the CPU or Memory (correct me if I'm wrong).  So, it doesn't seem like it's worth the upgrade?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points