Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Jan 17, 2013 2:52 PM

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies 1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to ycardozo

Hi,

I'm going to check on this for you. It sounds like something in the caching has become unhitched.

Which OS are you using? What version of Bridge do you have installed? Photoshop should be unaffected, except for potential system resource choking, but IIR, Bridge should be generating thumbnails on low priority threads.

Have you looked or posted in the Bridge forum?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to ycardozo

Hi,

You could certainly try a cache purge for a single directory ( small number of files) to see it it continues to cycle.

Does this happen with a particular format or is it across the board JPG, PSD, Camera Raw?

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to ycardozo

Could you be running low on disk space?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to ycardozo

Can you share one of the files? If so, I'll contact you directly. I'm also seeing if there's a quick way to get back to ACR 7.2 for you.

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to SG...

What is the same about the 90 files you updated?  Do they all use a particular lens profile or camera profile?  Did your camera raw defaults change?  How big is your cache set to be?  Try changing it to something much larger.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to ycardozo

A long shot  -- are you using Bridge monitor-size previews?  (Bridge preferences:  Edit > Preferences > Advanced)

I experienced a similar thumbnails and regenerating raw image file previews problem with an earlier acr 7 update.  Unchecking Generate Monitor-Size Previews in Bridge preferences eliminated the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to ycardozo

I see in the ACR 7.3 update fact sheet they worked with TIFF file code.  Do you have any layered TIFF's?  In Bridge it was a known problem that it just keeps rebuilding cache, but thought they fixed it.  Might try turning off that feature in Bridge under edit/camera raw preferences/automatically open TIFF with settings and see it if helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to ycardozo

If you changed the option it would mean you could not open a TIFF in camera raw.  But you could toggle it back on if needed.  Sounds like it is not your problem, but worth a try  at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to ycardozo

Hi,

I'll contact you directly with some info. There's a few services Adobe provides (CCM free trial, Adobe SendNow) that I can point you to for future consideration.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to ycardozo

ycardozo wrote:

meanwhile, i double checked. this only happens with raw files, regardless of the camera. But....Interestingly, I just opened a folder of raw files that had been worked on in CS5.  it thumbnailed and then stopped. in other words, it didn't continue rebuilding the cache.    i have another question...do you think building and exporting the cache (once a cs6 cache finishes revolving) might help?.

Raw files in cs5 would have been processed by a different camera raw (6.x), and when opened in cs6 would not be rendered for Bridge display by acr 7's new pv2012 until changed.   When I was experiencing similar problems (raw files only), it appeared to me to be some interaction between Bridge and an acr 7 update (I think 7.1).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 14, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to ycardozo

While I certainly advocate fixing the root cause of the problem, have you considered dropping back to an earlier version of Camera Raw?  If you don't have a camera whose support was just added, dropping back may work around the problem for you, as well as increasing your performance (Camera Raw 7.0, for example, is MUCH faster to open the files I've tried with it vs. all the later versions).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to ycardozo

ycardozo wrote:

... you had this problem with raw files? what was causing it? how did you fix it.  i'm happy (i guess) to see i'm not the only on earth who has had this problem. what exactly went wrong. it began for me with the latest raw update to 7.3

I never determined the cause for certain -- fixed it in my then-current working folders first by regressing to acr 7.0 then by unchecking Generate Monitor-Size Previews. Didn't have time to go back and forth to ascertain that I could recreate problem by checking Generate Monitor-Size Preview then resolve it by unchecking same.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to Robert Shomler

FWIW, I am not experiencing this problem (or any other, so far) with 7.3. I used Bridge to upload 500 images from yesterday's shoot and rechecked them as I read this thread. No start from scratch. The toilet bowl whirled for a couple of seconds then stopped with the right numbers for this file.

I check files from much earlier this year and same thing. No problems,

Win 64

AMD system.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to ycardozo

As I recall, I kept the original Camera Raw.8bi file from 7.0 and replaced the 7.1 version with that one from 7.0.

I think one could revert by reinstalling PS CS6 then updating acr only to 7.2.  Or perhaps someone could send you the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (32 and 64-bit versions) and you could try replacing 7.3 with them.  Don't know how this would interact with lens corrections data that was updated with 7.3

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to ycardozo

ycardozo wrote:

How did you go bk to 7.0?  I was told this can't be done...actually I asked about going bk to 7.2.   Can this be done and if so how.

I keep all the Camera Raw.8bi files and copy the older version back after testing the new release.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats>dir
    Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
    Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          .
    12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
    02/09/2012  04:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi
    02/09/2012  04:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
    05/16/2012  10:05 AM        24,639,896 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
    04/25/2012  12:25 AM        23,401,328 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
    09/19/2012  02:15 PM        23,786,584 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
    08/27/2012  11:11 PM        23,777,984 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC
    11/28/2012  08:28 PM        24,392,344 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3
    11/09/2012  07:39 AM        24,083,096 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3RC

8 File(s)    190,521,392 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  1,008,997,855,232 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats>dir
    Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
    Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          .
    12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
    02/09/2012  03:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi
    02/09/2012  03:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
    05/16/2012  09:37 AM        22,285,208 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
    04/24/2012  11:22 PM        21,053,808 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
    09/19/2012  02:15 PM        21,372,504 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
    08/27/2012  11:13 PM        21,364,416 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC
    11/28/2012  08:28 PM        21,974,168 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3
    11/09/2012  07:42 AM        21,678,744 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3RC

8 File(s)    171,537,456 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  1,008,997,855,232 bytes free

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Interesting that you can save all those in that folder. My folder has only the latest. If I want to save a RAW, I have to download it manually and save it in my D/L folder on a separate drive. Auto updates do not save earlier versions. With the Cloud, I don't know if you can do what you do.

So, how do you do that?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to ycardozo

ycardozo wrote:

I see 8bi files marked, for instance 7.3 and something earlier that is 7.3 RC.

The versions named ...RC are those released by Adobe Labs as beta pre-release versions for testing ("RC" standing for "Release Candidate").  Adobe always releases an early copy of each new version to help folks with brand new cameras who are waiting anxiously for support.  I test these when they become available, and try to provide feedback early to the Adobe folks for problems I find.  They don't always immediately act on that information.

Whenever I receive an update, thinking ahead, I copy it manually to a file named for its version.  Since I have changed the file extensions from the standard .8bi, Photoshop does not enumerate the copies as plug-ins.

ycardozo wrote:

You mention lens corrections...for what lenses?

Did I mention lens corrections?  My knowledge of how Adobe manages lens correction databases is limited, but my understanding is that they're accumulated by Adobe and made available online somewhere, and the software knows how to go download them behind the scenes when needed.  I imagine the lenses that have been profiled are substantially all of those available for name brand dSLRs.

ycardozo wrote:

how would I go about getting the one for 7.2 and how exactly would i proceed if i can get the previous 8bi file?

You can download the zip file corresponding to prior releases and dig down inside to the large files that are delivered by the update.  They aren't named Camera Raw.8bi, but you can figure out what they are from the size and which is x86 vs. x64 from the folder tree used to embed them.

For example, if you were to want the Camera Raw 7.2 distribution for PC, you could download this file:

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0 /7.2.82/Setup.zip

Then open it in Windows Explorer, and traverse the internal structure (opening nested zip files) until you find a file named 1002.  Copy that to the 64 bit location I identified above as Camera Raw.8bi_7.2, then you'll have it available to copy to Camera Raw.8bi whenever you want a copy of 7.2.

Note that if you're using 64 bit Windows you'll need to drill into the .zip file TWICE, once for the 64 bit version (named above) and once for the 32 bit version, which is named 1003 in that same file.

-Noel 

P.S., Note that this is for Windows.  I assume (but have not verified) that there is a similar process that could be followed for OSX.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to ycardozo

Ycardozo, have you applied file info from Bridge to your raw files? 

I'm noticing some of this repeated regeneration of thumbnails and previews for some folders.  It seems ot be only for folders that contain raw files that have two attributes: they have been edited with camera raw, and they have had Bridge-applied File Info (right click > File Info). 

Initial indication is that changing the IPTC file info Copyright Notice data triggers the problem.  I need to do some more experimenting.  I'd like to obtain a copy of the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (64- and 32-bit win) to test differences.  Perhaps I can get these from Noel C.  

I use xmp files for camera raw settings edit data, and the xmp files also hold File Info.  Some time back around cs3 or cs4 time there were interaction problems between the acr writing to xmp and file info writing to xmp.  Those conflicts I think are fixed by cs5 bridge, but the current acr 73.3 - Bridge problem may have tripped over some new conflict between these two xmp-updating processes.

I should start a thread in the Bridge forum for 'Bridge with acr7.3 repeated recaching raw files' and reference this thread.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Robert Shomler

Robert Shomler wrote:

I'd like to obtain a copy of the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (64- and 32-bit win) to test differences.  Perhaps I can get these from Noel C.  

I may not legally be able to provide you with copies of parts of Adobe's licensed product, but I have provided instructions above for getting a copy yourself.  It's pretty easy, the plug-in payloads are the only two large files in the .zip contrainers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Noel.  Just what I needed.  I  should make a habit of retaining these files.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 15 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points