Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Download Trial of Adobe InDesign. Isn't opening files

Dec 13, 2012 4:28 PM

Downloaded trial copy of InDesign. First thing was to go to HELP and run "updates" check and do that. Went to open a basic JPEG file and got: "Cannot open the file. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plugin that supports the file format may be missing or the file may be open in another application"....No other applications are open when this notice appears and it always happens, whether I try opening a Word document that has images or basic single low resolution images. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Bob20441

InDesign can only open InDesign files. If you start a new InDesign project, and then go to File -> Place, you'll find that you can place many different kinds of file into InDesign. But InDesign can't be used to edit jpegs (Photoshop is the correct app for that), and while you can certainly import Word files into ID, the proper tool for editing Word files is, of course, MS Word.

Maybe if you told us a little bit more about what you're trying to do, we could give you better guidance.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Correction: ID can open other file types, including IDML, InDesign templates, InDesign Book files, old PageMaker and Quark files, and... I must be missing something. Ha! Joboptions files. I don't think that this is what you were asking about, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to Bob20441

There are a few different ways to make a fixed-layout epub, but to be quite honest a) I don't know much about them as I have only dabbled in epub outside of a few specific areas, and b) InDesign is not a tool that you will be able to learn to use quickly and easily - even if it is easy to create that form of epub with InDesign. I do see that it's hard enough to do fixed-layout epub in InDesign that someone can make a commercial product that claims to "Convert InDesign Books To iBooks in One Click!" The first part of that (learning how to make books in InDesign in the first place) has a pretty steep learning curve by itself. So I don't know that InDesign is the best tool for what you are trying to do.

My suggestion to you is that you start a new thread with a title that will grab the eyes of the forum regulars who are more conversant with this topic (i.e. "Need to make fixed-layout epub, is InDesign the right tool?"). Steve Werner often points people towards the MobileRead forums, which I've found to be a very useful resource. But this thread title isn't going to haul in the majority of the forum regulars who know a lot about this topic, and It's Deeper Than It Looks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points