Skip navigation
craigpmhere
Currently Being Moderated

Emailing InDesign generated PDF

Dec 13, 2012 8:14 PM

Hello all. I have been trying to email a PDF I created from my InDesign file, but when the recipient opens the file on their computer it has 'holes' in it. For example, there are many words where the “ff” is let out of words like “effort” so it appears “e  ort” or “suffering” looks like “su  ering”.

This person has not had trouble with reading PDF's on their computer in the past, so I was wondering if there may be something with the file itself, and if that could have been created from the InDesign file.

I exported the document to Format: Adobe PDF Print.

Options: 'Embed Page Thumbnails'

Include: 'Bookmarks' and 'Hyperlinks'

Could the problem have started in the ID original file?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 8:32 PM   in reply to craigpmhere

You are having problems with ligatures. Make sure the the fonts are embedded in the PDF file. Choose the Advanced tab in the second export dialog window and make sure the Font subsetting is set to 0%.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to craigpmhere

If you are exporting the PDF from ID the ligatures should be embedded automatically unless for some reason you are using an old "expert" font for the ligatures and the font isrestricted. You would only have a problem with that if you were printing to Postscript and disitilling or using the Save as PDF in Apple's system.

I suspect the problem is really with the viewer being used and you should suggest that the recipient download and install the free Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points