Skip navigation
mizjil
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Save as Plain Text

Dec 13, 2012 9:49 PM

Tags: #text #exportpdf #acrobat_xi

I am unable to Save As to Plain Text. Need to convert PDF to Plain text. I can Save As Word, but I need to save as plain text.

When it converts and the new text file is opened it is empty.

Jill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2012 11:58 PM   in reply to mizjil

Are you able to select text in the PDF and copy it, or does nothing happen when you try to select text?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to mizjil

Save as the word file. Thechoose Save As... and save as Txt (or Text) file (depends upon whether your using a Mac or PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to mizjil

Please answer my question too, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to mizjil

If you are using Acrobat 10 or 11 Pro try using "Recognize Text" -- on this file. 

Maybe the document was scanned. A scanned document does not contain any text, it is just a picture. Recognize text will do Optical Character Recognition (OCR) on the document and then you can save as text.  You will have to watch for errors in the OCR.  Sometimes it has difficulty discerning the characters.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to mizjil

Sounds like you have a scanned document as mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to mizjil

So you are saying recognize text did work and the page was scanned?

The only way to check is by doing what you have already done--trying to select the text, or trying to use recognize text. Recognize text will not work if there is any text on the page at all -- even a page number. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to mizjil

In Mac Version and may be same in PC version, If the font is one the computer doesn't have or or happens to be defective You may not be able to see the text. Even if the text is their. Whether PC or Mac choose select all  to select all text in document Try a Different Font.  If this is the case the in Mac you need to use FontBook to Repair the font, or remove defective font.  IN PC's if you have a similar feature, do so.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points