Skip navigation
WatkinsWebSteve
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Preview On Desktop

Dec 14, 2012 9:03 AM

Tags: #dps #preview #preview_on_desktop

I'm following the tutorial on Adobe's website found here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishingsuite/articles/digital-pu blishing-suite-hands-on-tutorial.html. Using InDesign CS6 (8.0.1) on a Mac with 10.8.2.

I'm trying to preview the document on the desktop. I've opened the "Folio Overlays" panel. I've clicked the small Preview button in the lower left. I've chosen "Preview on Desktop." A small window appears indicating that it is being "processed" and "built" but when it is finished the window goes away and absolute nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 14, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to WatkinsWebSteve

First, let's check to see if you DPS tools are updated. In InDesign CS6, choose Help > Updates. If you're prompted to update DPS Desktop Tools, that's the most likely cause. If your DPS tools are up to date, we'll go from there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 14, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to WatkinsWebSteve

Let's try a quick test. Create a new document, and choose Digital Publishing from the Intent pop-up menu to create a 1024x768 document, and add a simple shape or text frame. Then choose File > Folio Preview. Does the desktop viewer open when you do that? If not, the desktop viewer wasn't installed properly. Go to this page and try installing the tools again:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5377

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 14, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to WatkinsWebSteve

Open the Applications > Adobe folder. Do you see Adobe Content Viewer? What happens if you double-click it? The desktop viewer should launch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 14, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to WatkinsWebSteve

I'm not sure what's causing the installation problem on the new iMac. I'll ask around. Perhaps Himanshu or Lohrii or someone else from tech support can help resolve this issue when they next come online.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to WatkinsWebSteve

It's not a problem. It's the same app on both. If you could help tech support debug when they respond I'd appreciate it. It sounds like an installer issue which is never fun to debug.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Hi, I'm having exact same issue here on my Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop running Win7. Creative Suite Subscriber, no updates available, already tried installing this http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5376 but nothing changes. I can preview on my iPad though. I'd like to have this fixed as soon as possible, please.

thanks

Giacomo

Italy

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Giacomo Ardesi

installing from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\AdobeDigitalPublishingCS6\ContentViewer\AdobeC ontentViewer.air" fixed the issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Giacomo Ardesi

Hi - My problem is a little different. The viewer opens - from the various locations in Indesign but then is blank. It worked in my first indesign download - but there were other issues and I had to uninstall and reinstall. Since then despite again uninstalling and reinstalling the previewer remains blank. I have checked "help" for unpdates.

Thanks for your help

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points