Skip navigation
zander7676
Currently Being Moderated

How Do I Pan and Zoom Across Multiple Photos (e.g. Time Lapse Sequence)

Dec 14, 2012 10:52 AM

Tags: #time_lapse #pan_and_zoom

Following some very helpful posts from Bill Hunt, I was able to create a time lapse sequence that I was happy with (a 17 hour, 6K+ pic monster - https://vimeo.com/home#/home/myvideos). Now that I have a good process in place, I want to move to the next level and add pan & zoom effects for future videos. I have not used pan and zoom before so read through the forums and watched a bunch of tutorial videos. But they all seem to focus on photo slide shows where the pan/zoom is issolated to a single photo.

My question is how do I apply a seamless pan and zoom effect across hundreds or even thousands of 1-2 frame photos (like pretty much every professional time lapse vids out there). Doing this manually for each photo is clearly not an option. I have not seen a specific setting so I assume I have to trick the program somehow. Is there a work around that keeps the photo structure intact? Or has anyone been successful in outputting a time lapse video and then using that video as the single source file where markers and motion can be applied?

Thanks in advance!

zander

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to zander7676

Considering the short Duration in a Time Lapse Video, I would explore a workflow, like this:

1. Create the Time Lapse, as desired. When satisfied, Export/Share that Project to an intermediate Video file.
    2. Import that intermediate file into a New Project (with matching Preset for that file), and then animate the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan), and Motion>Scale (Zoom). This will allow you infinite control, and specific to each portion of the Video.

For some additional discussion on intermediate files, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

If you have not worked with Keyframes, Steve Grisetti has some great Learning Series tutorials on Basic Keyframing, on the Muvipix.com Web site. I recommend those highly, and every moment spent learning about Keyframing, will pay dividends, as they can be used with many more Effects, than those two Motion Effects - most Effects can be Keyframed over time.

Good luck, and please let us know if that workflow works for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to zander7676

I would experiment with a shorter segment, to see if you can get what you want and need.

Good luck, and please report on your success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to zander7676

For the intermediate files, I use the Lagarith, or the UT Lossless CODEC. Both are free, install easily, and are visually lossless, though there is a bit of compression. The files are large, but that is due to them being visually lossless, unlike most compression schemes. To create those, after one has downloaded and installed the free CODEC's, you would just choose MS AVI, and from the Compression drop-down, the Lagarith, or the UT. Then, those files can be Imported into a New Project w/ specs. to match what you had. PrE will be able to use the CODEC, and you will not loose any quality.

For your distribution, I would go with the highest Bit-Rate of WMV. As WMV's take some processing horsepower, Exporting to that format WILL take a bit of extra time, but if that is the ideal format for your delivery, just start it, and go have dinner.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points