Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Publishing for Android has changed. How do I create a certificate using the new Google guidelines?

Dec 14, 2012 11:14 AM

The Google Play developer console has changed and now seems to require apps to use a "Base64-encoded RSA public key".  The key is provided under the "Services & APIs" tab in the new developer console. 

QUESTION: How to I go about converting the key provided by Google to a p12 file I can use when I compile from Flash Pro CS6?

I'm on both Mac/PC.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to distropolis

Probably not. Creating a CSR, converting a .cer to a PEM and then to a .p12 is pretty darn easy with OpenSSL. Here's that process:

CSR OpenSSL:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/iphone/WS144092a96ffef7cc-371badff126a bc17b1f-8000.html

p12 from .cer w/ key:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/iphone/WS144092a96ffef7cc-371badff126a bc17b1f-7fff.html

It's iOS articles but you can see the process just the same. I use this process myself and I don't mind command line, and I even have Keychain (Mac).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to distropolis

Certificates are about authenticating your true identity. Otherwise people would be installing apps from [insert random villian] that would [do malicious things]. So no, you can't just create your own random identity and upload apps into the general market.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to distropolis

Late for me but a last tid bit. It's the same as any certificate (SSL, etc). You need to be verified.

iOS does this by requiring you to submit a request to their system, they process a certificate (if valid) and you generate it from that. Certificates are all pretty similar. The process will be the same whether Apple or Google or [whatever]. Develop a request, log into your account and submit, receive a response, use the response to create the final validated cert.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to sinious

The thing is that there is no submit/download a certificate from this new Google developer console.  They just provide a box for you to copy , I guess, the certificate code ie .   IIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAiW9KWZIofIO9pirZInSKg3nITST LD7+lOAnR7zaGANp143Sfm3npjgVylttbnzxJSNsPLkLAZ+t8KIjDh+ndQsPfiHeWGx/fg x/eYGeDy90xqCcIOdfjPXBuzmn/V220gL0Qm4Ti526+4GaQvanLuuERvpoUBqR...

etc gobbledygook, so I think the question is how do we make a .p12 out of that?   I use OpenSSL to make a .p12 happily when I have a CertificateSigningRequest.certSigningRequest as per IOS  but otherwise not sure where to go with this new system.

Could it be the end of Flash and android apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to nukeme2

Looks like they're giving you an ingredient to generate the certificate but it also appears alien to me. I only used their previous system and my account isn't even active. You know it's a new developer console so there must be some "What's New" type of content for you to view. Google was always very forward and practical with documentation. Apple on the other hand, ugh...

If I could log in I'd help but I'm just tidying up here saying I can't see what you're seeing at the moment. Not until I need to dev on Android again at least ><. Sorry!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to sinious

In the end I uploaded with my own flash generated .P12 and it went through OK. The only concern I have now is whether the app links to their payment system.  It seems that if you have a free app then you can self sign but reading between the lines they sort if indicate that you need their own licensing certificate for linking the app to their accounting system - I might be totally wrong here, anyway will see.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to distropolis

Ok Adobe you owe me big time, it took me ages to figure it out.  Here is the way to incorporate Google Play's new public security certificate that is now needed for paid apps.

Step 1
    Download and install OpenSSL (see the YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpzSXAW0qUI)

Step 2
    Create a new P12 self-signed certificate and private key in Flash CS5.5 or CS6 in the Air for Android Settings/deployment tab section and copy it to the C:\openSSL\bin directory.  For the sake of this tutorial call it FlashCreated.P12

Step 3
    Open a command prompt and navigate to the OpenSSL\bin directory, ie cd\OpenSSL\bin

Step 4
    Type the command  
    set OPENSSL_CONF=c:\openssl\bin\openssl.cfg

Step 5
    You need to decode the FlashCreated.P12 key to create a PEM file with the command
    openssl pkcs12 -in FlashCreated.p12 -out FlashCreated.pem -nodes

Step 6
    Use a text editor and take a look at this FlashCreated.pem file

Step 7
    Strip out stuff not enclosed within the "-----BEGIN ... KEY-----" and "-----END... KEY-----" delimiters.

Step 8
    Go to the Google Play Developer's Console and copy the public key that they provide into a MS WORD document.

Step 9
    You need to copy this text in junks of 64 characters and past them below the existing Private Key section and within the delimiters.
    -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
    -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

use the MS Word count tab (bottom left of screen) to see the number of characters you select. Most important - ensure that there are no spaces, so 64 64

Step 10
    Once you have the 3 sections complete, ie Private Key, Public Key and Self Signed Certificate, convert this pem file back to a P12 using the same password with the command
    openssl pkcs12 -export -in FlashCreated.pem -inkey FlashCreated.pem -out Google.p12

Hope this works for you.

www.freddithefishingboat.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 12:29 AM   in reply to distropolis

Hi,

i finnished my First Android App and i have the Same Problem now. I Developed it with Adobe Flash CC on a Mac. Can anyone PLEASE Tell me what I am supposed to do with this RSA-Key? I am Stuck and i am  searching the Web for days now. Why isnt there any Tutorial like for Publishing apps on the App store and creating certificates?

Best regards

Jan

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to dasessig

Dear developers, once you complete the steps listed in post 12 (thank you nukeme2), is there anything else we need to code within as3?  I am using flash pro cs6.

I was reading on the google site something about adding code for licensing, but am not sure how to proceed with this?

Thank you,

Justin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to Justin_as3_rules

Dear developers, I am working on the process described in post 12 by nukeme2.  I have 3 questions for those of you that have already done this.

1.  After writing -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----, do you immediately fill the 64 characters or do you hit enter and start the first batch of 64 characters on the next line.

2.  After you grab your initial 64 characters, do you hit the enter key and start the next 64 characters on the next line.

3.  What does the self signed certificate section mean?  I only have the private key section and the public key section in the file.  Was there a self signed certificate section that I was not supposed to delete?

Thank you,

Justin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points