Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Files saved from Editor have broken thumbnail in Organizer

Jan 17, 2013 3:53 PM

Tags: #problem #organizer #editor #photoshop_elements_9

I am using PSE 9. I go to organizer, open a photo to edit, go to edit, edit photo, then close photo. Then I go back to organizer and photo. The photo is replaced with what looks like a "cracked" file. Is there a way to finish your edit or finalize it or something? what am I doing wrong? Thank you with your help.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 14, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

Are you turning on Save in Organizer and Save in Version Set with Original in the Save As window?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

How are you sending the photos to the editor? If you click on the broken thumbnail and press F5, does the correct thumbnail appear? Does the organizer thumbnail show the version set icon (the little arrow to the right of the thumbnail)?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

Have you done a major OS X update (10.6 to 10.7 or 10.7 to 10.8 for example) since installing PSE 9?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

Have a heart, man. It's December and I'm a musician. I'm not an adobe employee who gets paid to be here, you know.

I would try this. Go to your username>library>preferences and delete:

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 settings

com.adobe.Elements Organizer.9.0.plist

com.adobe.ElementsOrganizer9.plist

Repair permissions and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

Hopefully. You've tried repairing and optimizing the catalog and reconnecting all missing files?

harp

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

Have you used characters like dots, slashes, # in your file names?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

If you open one of the jpgs in preview and save it there, does PSE like the resulting file any better?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

I had the same problem with Elements 9 and thought it was a software issue and bought Elements 11, and now have the same issue.  I just posted the same exact problem, and then found your post.  Did you find out what the problem was.  I am just so frustrated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

Originally with Elements 11 all was well, just as with Elements 9, then all of a sudden, I had the same broken thumbnail issues in my organizer.  I don’t know why it starts out fine, then the issue develops.  I also don’t know why Adobe hasn’t addressed this bug and developed a way to fix it.  I am going to contact their help line, but everytime I do that, unfortunately I get someone from India who does not work with the program who is not able to help me.  They basically only can help with installing the program.  It would be nice if they would hire people who actually use the program, so they would have a better understanding of what I am talking about. 

I do have two suggestions to try.  One has not worked.  Before I try the other one, I will try to contact the help line one more time on this issue, and see if I can get it elevated to the next level as this problem is more than just my problem, and it has not been confined to just Elements 9, but it has continued onto Elements 11 as well. Wish me luck!

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to scubagal57

Close Organizer after noting the catalog path and delete the cache.

Then navigate to:

Help>System Info in the organizer, to find the file path for your catalog e.g.

Delete the file:

thumb.5.cache in your named catalog folder.

Re-launch Organizer and wait whilst new thumbnails are generated.

#

/Users/99jon/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Elements Organizer/Catalogs/My Catalog/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to 99jon

Will try that as well.  Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

Have you tried either of the options that were sent to me.  Just curious?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to Savewolves1

Attached is a transcript from a chat I had with an Adobe  Elements Rep about our “issue.”  It incorporates several things to do, one of them is something that 99jon suggested I do, which I hadn’t done yet, as I was waiting to contact the adobe rep. Hopefully this will clear up the situation the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to 99jon

Just got off the phone with an Adobe elements rep and he gave me directions for how to tackle my problem.  Half was new, and the other half was your solultion.  Much thanks.  I am sending you the transcript as I thought you might be interest.

Again, thank you,

Laurie

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Savewolves1

Well my chat room discussion did not work.  I was told to delete two folders and then delete two thumbnail cache files, and unfortunately after waiting for 25,000 photos to build new thumbnails, I still had the cracked photos.  I am so disillusioned.  I guess I will need to contact them again on Monday and see if they have another solution.  Anyone out there have another solution/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to scubagal57

Hi...

Did you try Catalog repair and optimize?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

No, I Forgot about that one.  I did try updating thumbnails at the very beginning, and that did not work. Then I (as mentioned in a previous email to the forum-not sure if you saw it) deleted the Photoshop elements and elements organizer folders from the Roaming menu, and then reset the thumbnail cache files. Then I launched elements again.  Unfortunately the cracked thumbnails were still there.  Very disappointing. 

Any specific instructions about what I need to do.  Just File >> Manage Catalog>>Repair and then Optimize Functions.  I am not a computer wiz so unfortunately I do need specifics.

Thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to scubagal57

Yes that's right. For more info, you may check http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-catalog-issu es-organizer-elements.html. It explains exactly what needs to be done.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

I definitely needed these directions.  Thank you.  I’ll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks,

Laurie

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Well unfortunately the optimizing and repair solution did not work.  First I optimized the catalog and checked the cracked files, and they were still there, so I went back and repaired the catalog and again, they were still there.  So, unfortunately, I either live with them, or I go back and re-edit them.  A lot of work, so I probably won’t do that. Now that I have reset the Thumbnail cache files, at least I can edit without any more difficulties, and I know what I need to do when the problem arises again. Thanks for the help.  If you have any more ideas, let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Well I’ve about had it with Photoshop Elements.  So much for what I said before.  My cracked files are appearing when I edit my photos again.  This is ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to scubagal57

What are the specs of your computer, scubagal?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Dell  XPS Desktop Windows 7  Intel Core i7 processor 8 GTB DDR3 memory AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics    My husband has been trying to help me and it seems that every thing keeps going to read only and then the cracked files appear.  No matter what we do, it goes back to the read only setting, so he is going to try to figure out why.  Any ideas?  As soon as we take it off the read only setting, the cracked photo disappears, then they reappear, we check the setting, and the read only is back.  Very frustrating.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points