Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Music usage rights for video content in digital publications.

Dec 14, 2012 3:30 PM

Tags: #videos #audio #music #drm

My client is including several videos in their digital publication, and would like to use some mainstream (iTunes artist) music tracks in those clips. My gutt instinct would be that it would cost a lot of money, and we'd have to reach out to the recording studio for a specific artist in order to properly gain the rights.

However, a fairly extensive search (Google anyway), for articles or documentation regarding using music in that capacity was not as forthcoming as I would have expected. In fact, I found some articles that seemed to support the notion that you can just simply "use the music without restrictions". For instance, iTunes has upgraded most of their music to DRM-free. No Digital Rights Management on the tracks, and this page http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1079?viewlocale=en_US basically states just that:

Songs and music videos, available at the iTunes Store, that are encoded in high-quality, 256-Kbps AAC format. There are no burn limits on iTunes Plus items, and they’re free of DRM (digital rights management) limitations. iTunes Plus content can be played on iPod, Apple TV, all Mac and Windows computers, and many other digital music players.

That's a pretty general interpretation of the terms... made even worse by "...and many other digital music players". Well, techincally this is another player, an iPad. And, it doesn't stipulate that you can play them only on your devices.

So, what exactly are Digital Rights Managment limitations, and what does being "free" of them allow you to do? Can I use the track in a video piece? Does anyone know of documentation that supports any of this?

Steve

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points