Skip navigation
draperysewer
Currently Being Moderated

red eye removal help please

Dec 15, 2012 8:02 PM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_11

I have a photo of 5 people all with red eye.

I went into quick edit for auto red eye removal and some peoples eyes became normal and others did not. Some would have one eye normal and the other red

I went in to the expanded version of editing and tried:

I expanded the view of a person's eyes, clicked on red eye icon then the person's eye - both were selected and one improved but the other did not.

I expanded the view of the eyes, clicked on the icon then on one pupil and it did not change.

What part am I missing.

I can't have people with one red eye and one normal.

I have played with the darkness of the eye and oddly enough, sometimes the darkness was on other parts of the body, like an ear.

I have played with the size of the pupil and that did not bring me positive results.

I have to be missing something and appreciate any suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 15, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to draperysewer

Its quite common for red eye tool to miss out areas in the image. You can try one more time by drawing a marquee around the eye using the red eye tool.

If that too doesn't work for you, I fear you probably would have to manually remove the red eye

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to draperysewer

Melissa,

The red eye removal tool does not work in all instances.

The work-around is to make a selection of the red area (I usually employ the lasso tool), then open a Hue/saturation adjustment layer above the layer with the selection, and work the 3 sliders.

Of course, you need to do this for each eye, so write down the settings in order to be able to match. It's nice to apply a catch light as well!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to draperysewer

For removing red eye manually,here is the steps i would follow:

1. Open your image in expert mode and make a rough selection around your red eye
      1.png
    2. Make a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer using the selection by clicking the icon shown in the figure or clicking Layer>New Adjustment Layer> Hue/Saturation2.png
    3. Change the channel to reds and use appropriate saturation and lightness value. I have used -100 for saturation and lightness3.png
    4. Use brush tool on the mask added to remove effect from any unwanted area

4.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points