Skip navigation
Designicc
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 crashes when accessing a folder containing a GIF file

Dec 17, 2012 8:19 AM

Tags: #bridge #cs6 #creative_cloud #gif #bridge_cs6

Each time I try to access a folder in Bridge CS6 containing a GIF file, Bridge crashes.

Moving the file out of the folder (with Finder) stops the crash happening. I've tried with several different GIF files, diffrent ages, with and without animation. ANY GIF file causes the crash in ANY folder. Very frustrating as I can't use Bridge to use any folder with a GIF inside.

I'm using Bridge CS6 5.0.1.21 (Creative Cloud) on a Mac with OSX 10.8.2.

Saw another post suggesting using 32bit version instead of 64bit, but that's a Windows thing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 17, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Designicc

I'm using Bridge CS6 5.0.1.21 (Creative Cloud) on a Mac with OSX 10.8.2.

While on 10.7.8 I use the same Cloud edition and have no problem at all viewing GIF files in a folder.

I would start with holding down option key and choose reset preferences (also reset file type associations to factory setting) and see if this helps. If not repeat this step but then also include the purge cache command.

You will need to recache the folders again but this takes only a bit time, depending on amount and size of the files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Designicc

You have probably seen this old post on the same problem and they determined gifs saved with certain characteristic crash the system.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4303460

If you open  gifs from this site do they crash your computer?

Have you tried to resave you gif in different programs to see it that effects problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Designicc

CS6 Mac only comes in the 64 bit flavor.  Do you have any older versions of Bridge that would be in 32 bit mode that you can try?

Did you work through the GIF's in the above link?  Did they crash your computer? 

Do you have another program you can create or save a GIF?  From the link I provided the conclusion was that GIF's created in Photoshop on that particular machine caused the crash.

From my experience and others it appears the Chat line pretty much follows a script of previous solutions.  If your is not on the list you may not get much help without escalating up the chain.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Designicc

Designicc wrote:

One other thing...

I had an issue like this with Bridge CS5 where there was a folder containing a zip file. I changed the default application for zip files from the native OSX compress utility to Stuffit and it cured the issue. Upgrading to CS6 provided a permanent solution and I no longer get the zip file issue, just the GIF problem.

Not sure I understand this.   Don't see how changing from CS5 to 6 would eliminate the zip file.  What happend to the zip file?  If you open CS5 and look at the folder is the zip file there?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Designicc

I downloaded the GIF from the link that looks like an ipad on a blue background.  In CS6 it worked perfectly.  If CS5 the animation did do work.  Neither crashed computer.  Not quite the same as you as I am using Win 7 OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Designicc

If you have a small GIF upload it here and maybe someone with a Mac, CS6, and 10.8.2 OS will jump in and help.  They can try it and report back. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Designicc

Omke said he has no problems viewing GIF on his Mac with 10.7.8 OS.  I have no problems with Win 7.  So it is not generic CS6. 

Since you were having same problem with CS5, and that was prior to Mt. Lion it probalby is not the OS.  To me that comes down to the problem you mentioned "I had a similar issue, before ugrading to CS6, where accessing any folder in Bridge CS5 which contained a zip file would cause Bridge to crash".  Not a computer whiz but this file should still be there in CS6 and may be causing the same problem.

Otherwise it is probably some other software conflict on your computer, unless other users can confirm the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Designicc

OK that was helpful.  You need someone with a 10.8.2 OS to confirm, which is why I suggested uploading a small GIF.   If it is on OS conflict the Adobe helpline will very quickly say to contact Apple.

If there is a Apple forum I would contact them to see if anyone running Bridge CS6 and 10.8.2 have a problem with GIF files.  They are not too common so an example might help there also.

Good luck, and post back when you find solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 17, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Designicc

Here's a GIF, one of very many, which caused Bridge CS6 to crash...

Tried this and can view and play the preview without problems. And I agree with Curt on the 10.8.2 in combination with CS6 being the biggest chance on causing the problem. And that is not very good because it is highly likely that both the help desk for Adobe and Apple will start to blame each other I'm afraid.

I checked my file type associations for GIF and they do display Adobe Photoshop CS6 (did you already applied the cloud update for PSCS6 to version 13.1?)

And referring to an earlier post, did you also deleted the plist file for Bridge and tried to reset prefs again with option key?

And did you try to test it in a new user account also?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Designicc

Tried this on my Win 7 computer.  With CS6 after 5 seconds the slider moved to half way, but no change in graphics.  After 14 seconds slider does not change but graphics changed to red bottom half.  After that there was no change.  Graphics stayed with red bottom.  In CS5 it did not work.  Was just a gif image just like the other gif I tried to open in CS5.

In the Infranview browser it opens and every 5 seconds the screen changes from open to the one with red at bottom.  Which is way I believe it is supposed to work.

So in summary your GIF did not work like it should in CS6 and does not work at all in CS5, but it does not crash either screen.  So there is something about the graphics that Bridge does not like.

One additional thought.  Graphics in Bridge are played with Quicktime, so make sure that is up to date.  Also, the graphics card and driver may also come in to play, but since you are on a Mac it should be up to date.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 17, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Designicc

Here's something else: I made a copy of a GIF file and changed its file extension to .jpg and then tried to view it's enclosing folder. No crash! I then made a copy of a jpeg and changed it's extension to GIF. No crash!

That is a weird route to go...

However tried it and had no problem other then not getting a preview for the jpeg and after again change to .gif the need of purging caching for the thumb.

If you want a workaround, try 'A Better Finder Rename', a cheap application that let's you change whatever you want for files or folders name, replacing etc.

You could set up a droplet for changing the extension to .jpg, drop the folder with all files on it and then again create a droplet to get the .gif back and drop it again. the set up takes 5 minutes, the result is taking only a few seconds.

You can change the extension in Bridge with Batch Rename but obviously that would not help you because you first have to select the files...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Designicc

Bridge CS6 was crashing when opening any folder with a gif file in it for me too. I turned off all the scripts in the preferences and it no longer crashed. I then enabled the scripts one at a time and tested the behavior. Bridge didn't crash each time. When all the scripts were enabled, it still didn't crash. Not sure what was fixed, but some script was probably corrupted and fixed when reloaded to run at startup. That's my guess. Hope it works for you too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points