Skip navigation
uke1024
Currently Being Moderated

Selection tool only duplicates - never moves

Dec 17, 2012 11:41 AM

Tags: #bug #selection_tool #drag_drop

I have a macbook pro running mountain lion 10.8.2

I am running the trial version of Flash CS6 version 10.0.0.481

If I drag an object with the  selection tool, it always duplicates, never moves.  Hitting fn, control, option, cmd has no effect.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I found another guy on the forum with the same problem, He thinks it was related to Air Display.  I killed the Air Display process, made no difference.  He also says it worked when logged in using guest account, did not work for me. 

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to uke1024

Recently Adobe has mentioned Flash CS6 is not 100% compatible with Mountain Lion although I'm having trouble finding this content on the Adobe site itself. There is a Mountain Lion compatibility FAQ you should look at however:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html

Aside that the good old "rebuild preferences" has been known to fix odd UI glitches. On OSX, quit Flash CS6, restart it and immediately hold CMD + CTRL + OPT + SHIFT. Let it delete/rebuild preferences from the dialog.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,189 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to uke1024

i think that's supposed to be:  Shift+Command+Option.

if that doesn't work, go through the rebuild step-by-step:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/kb/re-create-preferences-flash-profession al.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to uke1024

Sorry just CMD+OPTION+SHIFT immediately after starting up. Any adobe product typically supports this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:50 PM   in reply to uke1024

Has no one has found a solution for this issue?  I'm experiencing the exact same bug with Flash CS6 (v 12.0.2.529) on a mid-2009 17" MBP with 8GB RAM and a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OSX 10.8.2

Come on Adobe.  This is really basic UI stuff that should get addressed before release.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to uke1024

I am running the trial version of Flash CS6 version 10.0.0.481

I'm getting freeware quality on software  that costs significant dollars

Consider you glad that you didn`t pay anything yet. There will never be any software in the world that runs on 100% of all devices. That`s what trial versions are for.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to moccamaximum

I have the exact same problem - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1150892

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to uke1024

With jsfl it`s entirely possible to create a workaround for your problem. Since I am on Windows 7 and my Flash works as advertised I have problems to replicate the behavior, So to wrap my Head around that I would need details:

If you hold your left mouse button down on any element, said element duplicates at the exact same position as the original one and then you are able to drag the duplicated version as you would expect?

And as soon as you let go of the duplicate it stays at the position where you dropped it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to moccamaximum

Exactly. Here's what my history panel shows:

fl.getDocumentDOM().addNewRectangle({left:58, top:83, right:334.9, bottom:232}, 0);

fl.getDocumentDOM().mouseClick({x:160.9, y:128}, false, true);

fl.getDocumentDOM().duplicateSelection();

fl.getDocumentDOM().moveSelectionBy({x:72, y:74.5});

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to fringe_fan

OK, I came up with something.

Save this as MoveSafely.jsfl in a directory you can look up for your OS in the Commands folder

var doc = fl.getDocumentDOM();

var sel = doc.selection[0];

doc.duplicateSelection();

sel.selected = false;

doc.deleteSelection();

doc.mouseClick({x:sel.x, y:sel.y}, false, true);

Then in the Commands menu MoveSafely should be available in Flash.

Generate a custom Keyboard set (its best to duplicate the Adobe Standard, so all your other Shortcuts remain intact) under ->Edit->KeyboardShortcuts and assign a shortcut (I used ^) to the MoveSafely command

Now when you click on an element on the stage, hold the mouse down and click on your shortcut.

Start dragging and report back if you can move the original without having to deal with clones.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to uke1024

Yes, thanks mocca... and I see what you're trying to do here.  Unfortunately it doesn't produce the results we're looking for.  Seems that the command runs after mouse_up:

Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 3.33.16 PM.png

Perhaps mouse interactions supercede or otherwise negate/delay simultaneous key commands?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:44 PM   in reply to michael renninger

My theory at this point is that somehow the keyboard drivers on your devices interact with the keyboard shortcuts. Unfortunately I was not able to find any indication where flash might save a keyboard shortcut that says (Ctrl||Alt)+MouseDrag -> duplicateSelection(), so the next step would be to try out a system-wide keyremapper like this one to  disable (CTRL||ALT) systemwide and see if that solves the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to moccamaximum

I disabled Alt|Ctrl|Cmd by going to Settings->Keyboard->Modifier Keys... still doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to fringe_fan

Have you tried using the Subselection or Freetransform Tool instead for moving stage elements around? Does it trigger the same behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to moccamaximum

Subsection can't be used for moving objects (at least it's not practical at all, but if I select all of the points and drag by holding one of them, the object doesn't get duplicated), but Freetransform Tools triggers the same behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to fringe_fan

On windows you can grab a shape, line practically anywhere at the border with the subselection tool and drag it (you don`t have to target one of the points) and a Symbol can be grabbed anywhere. If you change click accuracy in the Preferences>Drawing section to "tolerant" it`s doable with a little practice. (I`m aware that its only the lesser of two evils).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to moccamaximum

The problem for me was linked to an app called AirParrot (http://www.airparrot.com/). Once I removed all the files associated with that software everything started working as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to fringe_fan

I was experiencing the same thing in Lion. Removing Air Display fixed the problem. Does anyone know if the issue persists in Mountain Lion?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points