Skip navigation
Shefreeman1
Currently Being Moderated

Dept of Field >Gradient tool issues

Dec 17, 2012 2:05 PM

To define areas of focus, click Add Focus Area and drag the cursor across areas of the image you want to focus on.

When working in the Dept of Field in the guided method......I am not understanding how to reset the GRADIENT tool to allow the unblurring of the photo.  My gradient tool does not unblur and eventually put a black blob there.

When replying please be very specific as I am still trying to get the hang of all the little clicks here and there.  THank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Shefreeman1

I hope this helps as I tried to break down the steps as detailed as possible. It is a different method that is what you outlined, it excludes the gradient. I hope you can achieve to look the are wanting, slightly less complicated.

Below is the picture that I feel needs a stronger focus area, and a stronger sense of depth.

1.gif

Opening the image in Photoshop, I went to Filter > Blur > Field Blur.

menu-bar.gif

The Field Blur dialog is opened, as shown below. As you can see, there is one pin on the image already, with the default blur set at 15 px.

first-set.gif

Start setting the focus pins, as shown below. Take your cursor over the image, and you will see the pin tool.  You want to set the focus pins at 0px. This will eliminate the blur, and set a focus. You can add additional pins for focus, as you will see later in the steps.

focus-pins.gif

Next, you want to set the next pins to apply your blur. As you can see, I have began to add in the pins where I want to apply a depth of field blur. I have set my pins at 30 px, you can adjust as needed.

blur-set-p-ins.gif

You can see all the pins that I set below.

pins.gif

Finally when you are done setting your pins, make sure you select "OK" in the top tool bar. This will apply all your pins.

Screen-Shot-2012-12-17-at-2.38.02-PM.gif

Final:

Screen-Shot-2012-12-17-at-2.44.28-PM.gif

Additional links:

http://blog.photoshopcreative.co.uk/tutorials/how-to-create-depth-of-f ield-in-photoshop-cs6/

Please post back with any questions.  I hope this quick trick helps you,

Janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Shefreeman1

I would go ahead and post your question in the Photoshop Elements forum. This is a forum for beginners using Photoshop.

Janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Shefreeman1

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop Elements forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Kendall Plant

In depth of field guided edit, if you use the blur slider before using the gradient tool, it would result in a black blob on your pic. To avoid that, it is advised to follow the steps in sequence i.e. use "add blur button", then gradient tool and in the last, use the blur slider

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points