Skip navigation
ChristianeJäger
Currently Being Moderated

Robohelp doesn't keep legends/captions ON images

Dec 18, 2012 2:12 AM

We are using RoboHelp for many years. Again and again we have problems with legends/captions on images. In our Microsoft Word document we insert an image from file and a legend from "Insert/shape/legends" (hope it's right, we have the Word program in German language). This legend we place ON the image. When we later import that document in RoboHelp HTML the legend will be inserted as an additional image above or beside the image.

We know that there must be a way to keep the legend ON the image, but we don't find it. Unfortunatelly our colleague who solved that problem the last time has left our company. Now we have to start new.

We needed to change something in our documentation but can't upload it to web because of the wrong illustration in RoboHelp.

How it looks like in Microsoft Word:

Screenshot Word.png

How it looks like in RoboHelp:

Screenshot RoboHelp2.png

We use RoboHelp 9 and Microsoft Word 2010 (also tested Word 2007).

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 18, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to ChristianeJäger

I suspect your former workmate had a workaround. Would they have captured the image of the image in Word with the caption over it and then readded that to the Word file. That should then come across into RH as you require.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to ChristianeJäger

I have been kicking around these forums for years and the only solution I have ever seen posted is the one Colum has mentioned.

In your live project, you have the legend sitting on the image if I follow you correctly, at least for some of the images. Have you looked at the code in an output file for an image where it works as you want? What does the code say?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 18, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

I was going to add before Peter's response that if you don't combine the two elements in the Word file, you'd definitely have to do so in the RH project. Whichever way you look at things it has to be done somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to ChristianeJäger

The first thing that clearly demonstrates is that your colleague did somehow convert the legend to an image - Legendpicture.gif. Then they added some code (the span style) that positioned the legend image over the screenshot image.

What I cannot tell you is whether they worked that out and executed it manually or did it using some third party tool.

There used to be a German RoboHelp forum. I wonder if your former colleague found or posted the solution there. The only thing I can find now in a quick search is http://www.robo-forum.de/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi It looks a bit dated but that does not mean the answer is not there.

I assume you cannot contact your former colleague.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to ChristianeJäger

If you do get this resolved, it would be very helpful if you could post back the exact steps.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points