Skip navigation
DanielsPatrick
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to fit a lot of objects inside of and area spaced out evenly?

Dec 18, 2012 10:42 AM

Tags: #spacing #align #distributing

I am trying to create some simple tilable dirt and I became curious to know if there is a way to take a bunch of circles like in the picture and get them to fit into the square area and be spaced the best it can be inside of it.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5930/objects.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

Perhaps select all, then Distribute Spacing, both vertical and horizontal in the Align Panel. Might work, I'm not certain.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

If you want to make a repeating pattern, then some of the objects must extend beyond the edge of the confining rectangle and they must be a copy of the one at the other side in the same position to the rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

Which version?

In case it's CS6: read the manual on Pattern editing mode. It's easy to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

There's no easy way to do organic. You might try using Transform>Scale with the random button checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

The “pattern” you show will never tile properly because the edges don’t match up. I think you realise this

To make it look “organic” you should have lots of elements – the more the better – but none the less the edge elements must repeat.

See the instructions for making patterns.

To avoid an obvious tiled look to a pattern you can then rotate the pattern within the shape by, say, 20°or so.

You can also use a subtle gradient or gradient mesh behind the pattern to camouflage the tiling, in which case the area between the stones in the pattern should be left uncoloured.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

Demo in CS3. Autotrace settings differ somewhat in CS6, but same principle.

JET

pebbles

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to DanielsPatrick

I once did a rendering of a sea wall using a pattern of stones.

The client was amazed that the job hadn’t taken longer – he couldn’t understand how I had time to draw all those stones.

He couldn’t see that it was a simple repeat pattern because I had rotated it.

I kept the secret up my sleeve and he paid his bill without even questioning it :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points