Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Save Bridge's auto-rotate results?

Dec 18, 2012 4:04 PM

I've got a bucket-load of holiday photos but many of them need to be rotated 90 degrees to the right. Since it would be extremely time consuming to rotate them individually I've looked for a batch program that would do it but realised the Bridge software does it automatically to view. The question is how can I save the auto-rotation result to disk (overwrite) because it only seems to rotate the photos when you just want to view the photos? I find it amazing that this software can recognise which way each photo is supposed to be upright but I can't find anywhere how to save the photos in the correct pright positiom.

Thanks very much for your attention and hope you can help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Spimkpoot

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Bridge General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Spimkpoot

The camera codes which way the image is up (if turned on), but be sure you have up correct on camera (usually the flash up).

If you have the thumbnail too small it may not change the orientation.  Also, you should open an image in PS before rotating, as it also reads the signal.  Would not want to rotate them and find it did not need it.

You can select all the images to rotate in Bridge and click on edit/rotate and do it all at once. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 19, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to Spimkpoot

along with other mind-boggling data which I can see down the right column of Bridge.

No mystery there, only the data about camera settings etc.

because as it stands, the thumbnails displayed under Windows Explorer still show many of the photos at the wrong angle

I use a Mac so no experience with Windows but my files (either Raw, DNG or jpeg created in camera with auto rotate set to on) do show correct in the Finder (somewhat an equivalent of Explorer) without having applied anything to it or using a save/ save as command.

Can Bridge do them all at once so they are already correctly rotated when I open any program to view them?

The easiest way to save a jpeg file to me seems to add something to the mind boggling part at the right...

It is called the metadata panel and inhere you can add useful information yourself so you can search for this info later on and find the files you want in an easy way without needing to look through all the files.

Try the section with 'IPTC core' and especially the fields 'description' and 'keywords'.

You can also create a template containing your copyright information and keywords to add. This might seem a bit mind boggling at first but after a little study you will see the benefit of this. For experiment select a few files (both landscape and portrait) from the same series and or subject in Bridge. Now click on the description field in IPTC core in the metadata panel and it will let you make changes to this field.

Add a line or words that reflect some info for the images and hit enter to apply and save the info. See if this was enough to get the rotation fixed in explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Spimkpoot

As I said in post #2 You can select (highlight) all the images to rotate in Bridge and then click on edit/rotate and do it all at once. 

Since burning to disk does not rotate images you might want to select all the photos that need to be rotated, then select copy and move to a seperate folder.  There you can rotate them for burning.  If you rotate them all the images then the programs that automatically rotate them for viewing would then have image in wrong format.  (2 lefts don't make a right ).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Spimkpoot

I know exactly what you mean and I would like to find an answer myself so if anybody does know how to do this I would be very grateful. To be clear: If I open a folder of photos in Bridge the photos are all auto-rotated like magic - fantastic. If I open the same folder of photos in Windows Photo Viewer they are not auto-rotated. I would like to see the photos in Windows Photo Viewer auto-rotated just like they are when viewing them in Bridge. Is it possible to save the auto-rotated photos from Bridge in this format so they can be viewed correctly in Windows Photo Viewer? I hope this is easy to follow.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 9, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Rob Tudor

If I open a folder of photos in Bridge the photos are all auto-rotated like magic - fantastic. If I open the same folder of photos in Windows Photo Viewer they are not auto-rotated.

Without knowing anything of Windows Photoviewer I do know Bridge respects the in camera settings for landscape and portrait. The newer dSLR mostly have the option to set prefs for auto rotating images, some even offer the options to choose between viewing portrait images as landscape on the camera screen and as portrait on the computer.

Probably Windows Photo viewer does not respect those in camera settings? If you want to view them in Windows viewer (btw, why should you do so if you have all the powerful options in Bridge??) you first have to save the files, (e.g. use menu tools/ Photoshop / batch) and then all viewers will show them as portrait and landscape

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Thank you Omke. Of course - I now realise I can use PS to do a batch save. The reason I personally need the files correctly orientated in Windows is so I can then use them in another programme (E-book) for my clients to view them without having to put their heads on the side. You have been most helpful. Thank you for your rapid response.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Spimkpoot

Thank Spimkpoot. I have been control-clicking the icons in Windows that needed turning then righ-click and rotate anti-clockwise. This is fine but if there are well over 1000 photos in a folder it is a little tedious and also I usually miss one or two. It would be good to automate just like Bridge can do. A feature Windows is lacking (listen to this Bill).

Omke has suggested the solution via PS which I will use in future. Thank you all for taking the interest and time in responding - I am very grateful.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points