Skip navigation
archie320
Currently Being Moderated

XML files from CR2 files shot with Canon 7D do not save???

Dec 18, 2012 4:03 PM

Tags: #problem #raw #mac #bridge_cs5

I opened a bunch of images shot with a Canon 7D through the Raw Processor in Bridge CS5. AFter making adjustments I clicked the "Done" button thinking the XML files would be upgraded. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong. With all my other files this works perfectly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to archie320

What version of Bridge and camera raw?  A 7D needs CS5 and at least ACR 5.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to archie320

How are you judging whether xmp was changed?  If viewing with embedded thumbnails it will not show edits.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to archie320

Take one of your CR2 images from the D7 and delete the XMP file (to show click View/show hidden files).  Open in ACR do some edits and see if there is any XMP file created.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to archie320

I think I am out of ideas.  Suggest you post in Camera raw forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/cameraraw?view=discussions

Post results when you get them.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to archie320

This won't answer why the xml/xmp is not being updated but it might get photo the job done:

Try opening one of the 7D raw files in acr, make  your acr adjustments, then Save Image button in acr (instead of Done).  Select <dng> in the save options (and other options to suit) then Save.  This should produce a dng file with your acr adjustments.  Cancel out of acr and try opening the just-saved dng in acr and see if it shows your adjustments.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to archie320

The exact same thing is happening with one of my 60D in Bridge CS6 Camera Raw.  I make my changes to my .CRW file in Adobe Camera Raw, I click done, and even though the .XMP file is in the folder, it does not get applied to the image in the Bridge preview window, and if I open up the image in Camera Raw again, the adjustments I made are not there. I have to apply a saved preset or start from scratch again.

The crazy thing is, with the other 60D, it works fine!

If I take the SD card out of the bad 60D and put it in the good 60D, they work from the good one and not the bad one. 

So, it's not the card, and it's not bridge.  There is something with the .CRW files from the ope camera that doesn't work in Adome Camera Raw, and Bridge CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to archie320

everyone that is having this problem I think I have solved it.

Short quick answer so you dont have to read further. Check your date/time setting on your camera, it's probably wrong.

Longer version:

I too have a Canon 7D and the other day I had taken some pictures of my son with santa and was experiencing the same problem.  I could edit in camera raw, but the changes would not save. I would not get the little icon next to the image either.Every other image worked fine except for the ones I took that day.  I was chalking it up to maybe a bad import of the images and maybe somethign was corrupting. but I was still able to open them and edit and save psd's so I wasnt too worried yet.

Today we went out and took some images of holiday lights and I came home downloaded the images and the same issue happened again. I went back to the santa pictures and I could edit them and the changes were saving now. So I googled and came across this post. Once I saw you too were having the same problem but it went away the next day, and another person was only having a issue with one camera I figured it had to be a setting in the camera.

And since the problem goes away with time I decided to check my time on my camera and it was set to 12/22 (today is 12/21). So I corrected the time took a test shot and downloaded it to the computer and it works perfectly again.

Hope this helps!

Ponno

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to archie320

Yes!  Finally, a real solution!  Thank Ponno!

The 60D that was having the problem was set to one hour ahead, which makes perfect sense.  It was when we switched to daylight savings time that this problem strated happening.  My 60D that was working fine was set to one hour behind the correct time. 

So, why does Bridge refule to apply an .XMP file to a photo that was taken in the future?  Well, obviously because that photo hasn't been taken yet.  Duh.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to PonnoJonno

Thank you so much, PonnoJonno!  You literally made my week!  I have been dealing with this issue longer than I'd like to admit.  Fortunately, I found you post before I started doing anything wacky to my machine/software to correct it.  I checked my camera date/time and it was set an hour ahead.  Once I set it to the correct time, BAM! the files worked perfectly in Adobe Camera RAW. 

So glad it was such a simple fix.  Thanks for doing the extra troubleshooting leg work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points