Skip navigation
sorarizesayhi
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to add a new unit in Photoshop?

Dec 18, 2012 11:15 PM

Tags: #web_design #retina

Hi, I design website layout with the newest version of photoshop, retina support.

When I open a 960px width canvas, it looks like 480px width, if I want it looks like a "normal" size, I have to change it to 1920px width.

It's not a big problem, but when I begin coding, EVERY dimension need to divided by 2 - It's simple but not cool.

Photoshop has pixels, inches, cm, mm, points, picas, columns, if I can put a new unit "double pixel" into photoshop, it should be solved.

So, I wonder know are there any method for adding this unit in photoshop, plugin or hacking?

thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to sorarizesayhi

If you have CS6 you need to update to 13.0.2, a recent update.

Why do my images appear smaller on my Retina enabled Mac after installing the 13.1/13.0.2 update?

Retina displays use a higher pixel density than a normal monitor. The individual display pixels are approximately one half the size of previous devices. While working in Photoshop before installing the 13.1/13.0.2 update, as with any other non-Retina optimized application, the number of pixels used is doubled to give a normal, non-miniaturized appearance. This can cause applications to be slightly blurred or pixilated. Thus, when viewing images in Photoshop, the zoom level is effectively double whatever is displayed. At 100% zoom, the image is displayed so that every one image pixel is shown with four display pixels, the same as viewing the image at 200%. With the 13.1/13.0.2 update, Photoshop now displays natively on Retina screens, meaning that image pixels now appear at the much smaller Retina size, thus reducing the amount of screen space they take up when viewed at 100%

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 19, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to sorarizesayhi

sorarizesayhi wrote:

Photoshop has pixels, inches, cm, mm, points, picas, columns, if I can put a new unit "double pixel" into photoshop, it should be solved.

Why would that solve your problem? What is the difference 1 px or 2 px if px does not have any size connotation what difference does counting by 1 or counting by groups of two make other then aspect  ratio one counting squares and the other counting rectangles that are twice as wide then high where width and height is not defined.  You may want to consider 4 px clusters instead so your always dealings with 1:1 aspect ratio units.

When you through in size DPI you will find there is no problem at all. But then CS6 13.0.2 had to add a problem by removing  the ability to view print size so even if you set Photoshop Preference Display resolution to your displays high DPI resolution you can't use it for displaying you images correct size.  Good show Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 19, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to sorarizesayhi

I do not know that much about HTML and web servers. I know you should be able to find out the user Browser window size in Pixels.  Using the type of information you should be able to scale the displayed images to fill  a percentage of the browsers window.  You can also effect the size window the browser will have.  I do not think the is any way to find out a displays DPI resolution or display size.  But if you put  a browser in full screen mode fine out the number of pixel wide the screen is you can calculate the number of pixels you need to use to make the image 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 the display size.  You have no idea if it on a 4" mobile display or a 80" HDTV so you'll not know if 50% of the display is 2" wide or 40" wide in size or the viewer's distance to the display.

All 15'  displays will display 50% size images be they 72dpi displays or 326dpi displays for 50% of the displaye pixels will be used to display the image. 7.5' that biger then me...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Dec 23, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to sorarizesayhi

sorarizesayhi wrote:

in mac press command+shift+4 could capture screen in specfic area, in the same time, it shows the size we selecting. if i select whole screen, it still show '1440 900' in retina display (even the result of capture is 2880x1800), and that's what unit i want to put in photoshop.

You have lost me here. Identify 'it' and where the 1/4 1440x900 pixel count and full 2280x1800  count come into play. Is this something the Mac OS device driver is playing with to use your display at 1/2 resolution instead of its high resolution.  I stopped using a Mac years ago before Apple switched to unix.

If Mac OS is using you display a 1/2 resolution  50% is still 50%. Even of both resolution are being used at one for different application, As longe as you dealing with one application like the browser 50% window is still 50% pixels which ever resolution is being reported to it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points